PDA

View Full Version : dumb idea or no?

crsaz
12/10/2009, 11:12 PM
well I am adding 2 more frag tanks to my system 48x24x10 rimless and since I dont have $500 laying around I think I want to build my own. I have never built a tank before. I want to have the glass cut and polished profesionally. probably by leemar. anyway how difficult is it to assemble a glass tank? and what thickness should I use?

Takara
12/10/2009, 11:21 PM
If they are only frag tanks, why not get something a little more readily available? I mean some standard rimmed tanks used arn't much at all?

crsaz
12/10/2009, 11:31 PM
mostly because it is the main piece of "furniture" in my living room and the dt and already existing frag tank are rimless and I would like th other 2 to match. plus the tek fixture over a rimless tank just looks so right/perfect.

uncleof6
12/11/2009, 09:30 AM
Dollar wise, you may break even -- if you are lucky. 9mm glass. Not difficult to do, just unforgiving of mistakes.

Jim

crsaz
12/13/2009, 12:25 AM
I have decided to follow through and build the tank. glass from glass cages will cost $120 for 3/8"(would it be better to go with 1/2"), Im sure I can find it cheaper locally. I already have some of the tools.(some large clamps) and plan to get "corner" clamps, industrial silicon, what else do I need?

stealle
12/13/2009, 09:26 AM
For the most part glass is glass (unless you want low-iron/starphire). Just get the glass from a local shop... look in the yellow pages. Glass cages isn't going to have "better" glass than you local shop. No sense in paying for the shipping charges.

crsaz
12/17/2009, 11:57 PM
does anybody have some links to some article on asslembly? I am mostly confused on how I am going to attach the bottom panel. I have read it is best to place the bottom panel inside the sides. should I build an internal eurobrace on the bottom?

buttons buster
12/18/2009, 12:03 AM
from what I've read it's best to build the sides and then attach the bottom piece.

Deep Thief
12/18/2009, 12:13 AM
from what I've read it's best to build the sides and then attach the bottom piece.

I've read that to but its not the way I do it. I start with the bottom sitting there, take the back pane of glass and put a very thin film of silicone on the butted joint and stick it. Now take and do the same for one side/end piece, except here you will have two joint/butted places to join. Hold together with a couple of pieces of tape. Now do the other end/side the same as the first. Again hold together with tape. Now do the front pane and here you have three joints/butted ends to join. Again hold together with tape. Now your tank is sitting there.

Now silicone all inside seams and tool it. Let cure. I am NOT saying this is right, just the way I have assembled my personal tanks that I have made before. Right or wrong, it worked. I make no warrenty expressed or implied. YMMV, Mark