PDA

View Full Version : I have a gap between stand and tank!! What now?

bmiller1234
12/11/2009, 04:45 AM
So I am in process of buling the stand for my 100 gal 60 x 19. I actually set tank up on it last night and was making sure everything was ok and my front 2x6 has a bow in it..... So now in the middle of the tank theres an approx 1/8th inch gap tapering both ways. How do I fix this? I havent put any of the top trim or anythin g in yet.

Can I just buy a few packs of shims and some more glue and just slide the shims in place till they touch tank edge and let it dry and trim it off? this way it would taper along with it and make a nice even edge for the tank to sit on.

that was the easiest fix I could think of but if anyone else has ideas please let me know. Thanks!!

GrampaDon
12/11/2009, 05:27 AM
Without a picture its hard to advise if a shim can work.

Also it dependes on tank build style. :IE my G.C. tank need full FLAT support simaliar to acrylic tanks. While others need just the outer edges to be straight n square.

bmiller1234
12/11/2009, 05:49 AM
I will try for pics this afternoon. Its a perfecto tank with the bottom plastic trim. The sides and back are flat and square. Its just the front that has a gap the length of tank tapering to the sides.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/11/2009, 06:29 AM
How wet/stable is your wood? A 2x6 can move quite a bit as it acclimates to the inside of your house. . .

bmiller1234
12/11/2009, 06:39 AM
Should be pretty stable. I have a decent knowledge of wood so I bought wood and put it in basement where tanks going to go and let it acclimate for a week. Then cut it all to length and reacclimate for a week.
It was all kiln dry high grade. Went together really nice. Square and true but I didn't check it till last night and its the only board that ended up bowed.

graveyardworm
12/11/2009, 06:41 AM
Do you have a piece of plywood on top of the stand?

bmiller1234
12/11/2009, 07:07 AM
No plywood. Was thinking of putting a piece on but if I screw it down its just going to follow the contour of the board.
Could I maybe do a heavy bead of thick epoxy under the plywood attach the ply to the good sides and leave the epoxy to harden and fill the gap?

BADGUS
12/11/2009, 07:12 AM
If the sides and back are square,then a flat piece of plywood should square up the stand.When i did my stand it was off in the center aswell,so a 3/4 sheet of plywood solved the problem.Mine was a 60x24 tank and was acrylic,so i HAD to have a good base.

Flanders
12/11/2009, 07:36 AM
can you just put another brace in the middle to straighten it out?

coralnut99
12/11/2009, 07:44 AM
Not trying to smart like a smart***, but can't you just replace the warped 2X6? If it's cupped, it may very well be off corner-to-corner. If it cupped, it doesn't sound like it was glued in place so replaceing may be your best bet.

graveyardworm
12/11/2009, 07:45 AM
I would put on plywood, shim between the plywood and 2x6, this will help carry the load farther out than just the shim alone. Once the tank is on and full the plywood isnt going to move. If you like add some glue like construction adhesive to fill any gaps, or if you feel better about glueing the whole thing then glue the plywood to the 2x6 all the way around and install the shims before the glue sets then fill gaps with glue.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/11/2009, 07:45 AM
How was the stand constructed? If it's just nails/screws I'd probably remove that 2x6 and replace it with a straight one. 10 minutes and the problem is solved in a manner that you know won't give you problems down the road.

bmiller1234
12/11/2009, 08:08 AM
Not trying to smart like a smart***, but can't you just replace the warped 2X6? If it's cupped, it may very well be off corner-to-corner. If it cupped, it doesn't sound like it was glued in place so replaceing may be your best bet.

Well not trying to smart back like a [email protected]#$ but technically cupping and bowing are two totally different things. A cup would cause me no problems except for the skin attaching.

A cup is when the board curves upward with the end grain, a bow is when looking down the length of board it bends. I am in no way giving you a hard time, I appreciate any and all input and criticism its just a cup would not cause me the problem.

How was the stand constructed? If it's just nails/screws I'd probably remove that 2x6 and replace it with a straight one. 10 minutes and the problem is solved in a manner that you know won't give you problems down the road.

well me being the over kill builder that I am glued nailed and screwed. I also already glued the 1/4 birch ply skin to the outside of the stand so getting that 2x6 out will be next to impossible without destroying the stand.

I would put on plywood, shim between the plywood and 2x6, this will help carry the load farther out than just the shim alone. Once the tank is on and full the plywood isnt going to move. If you like add some glue like construction adhesive to fill any gaps, or if you feel better about glueing the whole thing then glue the plywood to the 2x6 all the way around and install the shims before the glue sets then fill gaps with glue.

This seems to be my best viable option. They have some really nice 3/4 oak cabinet ply in stock right now that would fit the bill on what I need to do. I am going to do a solid bead of poly contruction adhesive around perimeter of stand, heavier in front, and attach the corners and around back and sides. Then lay a 6 foot straight edge across and just raise and lower any areas as need be and let dry.

coralnut99
12/11/2009, 11:08 AM
well me being the over kill builder that I am glued nailed and screwed. I also already glued the 1/4 birch ply skin to the outside of the stand so getting that 2x6 out will be next to impossible without destroying the stand.

That's all I was really trying to figure out.

shaneh
12/11/2009, 01:16 PM
i didn't read all this but you can buy a peice of foam from HD or lowes and put it under then tank they have diffrent thickness. 1/16-1 to 1/2 inch.

graveyardworm
12/11/2009, 03:16 PM
i didn't read all this but you can buy a peice of foam from HD or lowes and put it under then tank they have diffrent thickness. 1/16-1 to 1/2 inch.

You still need a flat surface underneath. Also foam under the tank is more for tanks that dont have a trim to sit on. Generally acrylic tanks are built like this. On tanks with a trim you risk uneven pressure especially at the center braces on the underside.

bmiller1234
12/12/2009, 06:14 AM
So to everyone that replied I greatly appreciate it. Finally sat down this morning and did the photobucket thang and can hopefully post pics of the process. Going to start a build thread once I am a little farther along and hae some more time.

So problem was the gap so after a trip to the depot I got a piece of 3/4 birch ply. Stand is 21 wide. I ripped a 4x8 sheet down to 24" and decided to do a nice 2 inch shelf around tank. Going to do wood trim around base of tank to cover that really nice plastic oak!!

So heres the pic of the original problem

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/bmiller1234/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDAtMjAwOTEyMTAtMTgzN.jpg

And heres the pic of the solution

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/bmiller1234/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDMtMjAwOTEyMTItMDgwN.jpg

I did a thin layer of poly adhesive and then a heavy bead along front. Then I set top in place, finished nailed the corners and then set the tank on the stand. Then went from the underside and adjusted the ply top up to match the bottom of tank. took about 10 minutes and is now rock solid

GrampaDon
12/12/2009, 06:42 AM
Glad you resolved it. Looks very nice too.:beer: [And a lot like my stand.]

bearpeidog
12/12/2009, 07:06 AM
Late to the game - good solutions. You could have also snapped lines and planned the surface flat.

Nice job on the stand. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

graveyardworm
12/12/2009, 07:49 AM
:thumbsup:

Gill again
12/12/2009, 10:14 AM
I think that was the best solution to your problem. To any builders out ther you dont want to try to save time and money by trying to make a bad situation work. Imagine your tank and all thats in it on the floor one day because you took a shortcut.
Gald you got this fixed, good job!:thumbsup:

TS14
12/12/2009, 08:49 PM
Looks good and glad you got a fix to your problem. I have a metal stand and I am starting to see my one top brace in the front is starting to sag a bit.