PDA

View Full Version : How do you wait?

1DeR9_3Hy
12/11/2009, 11:46 AM
I have reached a point where i dont have anything else to do with my tank other than watch it (and dose the bacteria/carbon daily). I constantly want to fidgit with the tank, which i dont because thats the worst thing i could do at this point. I setup prop tank in my basement to keep my hands busy for awhile, but i have come to the point with that as well that all i can do is let it do its thing and change some water every once in awhile.

So what does everyone else do when it comes time to just leave your tank along and let it grow? Ive been playing a lot of video games, running my dog, eating/drinking out, basically living like i don't have a reef addiction. But every time i come home i stop and stare at my tank and fight the 'urge'....no matter how sweaty from running or drunk from drinking...the urge is always there.

L98-Z
12/11/2009, 11:47 AM
I guess I don't have the urge. There are times where I don't see mine for a day or two. Makes it a little more interesting if you go a week. So much seems to have changed.

1DeR9_3Hy
12/11/2009, 11:50 AM
I guess I don't have the urge. There are times where I don't see mine for a day or two. Makes it a little more interesting if you go a week. So much seems to have changed.

Exactly, i have had that experience once before when i left on a week long vacation. I got back and everything was different. I was hoping that when i entered the hobby that would go away, but its been a good 1-2 years and its not tapering off.

The damn thing is in my kitchen where i have to walk by it daily, or every time i eat/drink....maybe i just placed it in a bad spot.

ChadTheSpike
12/11/2009, 11:57 AM
I waste a lot of time reading, being on my comp, and watching tv next to my tank, I also spend a lot of time watching the rock for new things, taking pictures (which I STILL suck at), thinking about my tank, thinking about my next upgrade or tank, talking about my tank...
I thought this would eventually go away, but its been a little over 20 years since I started keeping SW and I still do it...

1DeR9_3Hy
12/11/2009, 12:20 PM
I waste a lot of time reading, being on my comp, and watching tv next to my tank, I also spend a lot of time watching the rock for new things, taking pictures (which I STILL suck at), thinking about my tank, thinking about my next upgrade or tank, talking about my tank...
I thought this would eventually go away, but its been a little over 20 years since I started keeping SW and I still do it...

jhawkor
12/11/2009, 12:26 PM

:lol: I'm the same way, I constantly want to do something with the tank.

ChadTheSpike
12/11/2009, 12:38 PM

hahaha,

...doesnt that sun coral look like it could use a few extra myis? :lolspin:

1DeR9_3Hy
12/11/2009, 12:47 PM
Well at least im not alone in this fruitless battle.

It caught my attention last night when i was standing in my basement listening to Christmas music waiting for the next pile of detrius to form on the BB of my prop tank so i could siphon it out.....

Nerd1717
12/11/2009, 12:49 PM
Reality TV.

Jeremy Blaze
12/11/2009, 12:52 PM
A few more years in the hobby.

Or set up more tanks!

Get a job in the hobby, and you will think differently about messing with your tank at home.

DetroitCrow
12/11/2009, 12:59 PM
Well I have the same issue, so I just started my 300g build! LMFAO

mcoomer
12/11/2009, 01:00 PM
I'm not a patient person so I just put a nori sheet in, or empty the skimmer cup, test the water, run the algae magnet of the front, or something similar. I can occasionally sit in front of the tank and just stare into it but usually I see some imagined smudge or streak and find myself cleaning it again.

Mike

ibefishy
12/11/2009, 01:44 PM
You could pack up all your corals and send them to me and then start the process of restocking again. :)

jacksonpt
12/11/2009, 01:58 PM
It's funny, I'm just the opposite. A little less so now with a smaller tank than I was when I had my 75g, but I LOOOVE to watch critters interact. So once everyone is happy, healthy and growing, I'm more than happy to sit back and look but not touch.

BigandUgly
12/11/2009, 02:18 PM
It's time to start another tank. Maybe a nano on the computer desk?

reeftivo
12/11/2009, 02:24 PM
Get a job in the hobby, and you will think differently about messing with your tank at home.

Classic! How true! I've never seen an employee in a LFS with a smile on their face when their arms are in a DT. Worn out I guess.

Sisterlimonpot
12/11/2009, 03:08 PM

Classic! How true! I've never seen an employee in a LFS with a smile on their face when their arms are in a DT. Worn out I guess.

That's the easiest way to take the fun out of a hobby.

edshern
12/11/2009, 03:25 PM
When I got to that point, I had the tank set up exactly where it was PERFECT.
But, like you it was boring.
So,,,, I tore it all down and made a seahorse tank !!!
Well that was even more boring, so I tore that down and restarted the reef tank. That was 2 years ago, and it's still a work in progress.
Maybe it will be a turtle tank next.

IslandCrow
12/11/2009, 03:52 PM
Well I have the same issue, so I just started my 300g build! LMFAO

And that's the sign of a true addict. Sounds like it's time for you to start up a second tank, 1Der9.

fstlane4me
12/11/2009, 08:57 PM
Definately time for a new tank build.

1DeR9_3Hy
12/11/2009, 09:53 PM
And that's the sign of a true addict. Sounds like it's time for you to start up a second tank, 1Der9.

To everyone who says i need another tank, my current count is 4.

2 at home (50 cube & 120 prop), then two at work (24x12x12 & finnex G4). My wife does want seahorses though, so i may put up another tank around christmas if i can do so without making us look like a crazy couple that collect fish.

ludnix
12/11/2009, 10:11 PM
Auxiliary hobbies for me. There's a lot of interesting stuff to learn that has nothing to do with reef keeping.

cveverly
12/11/2009, 10:29 PM
I constantly want to fidgit with the tank, which i dont because thats the worst thing i could do at this point. I setup prop tank in my basement to keep my hands busy for awhile, Ive been playing a lot of video games, running my dog, eating/drinking out, basically living like i don't have a reef addiction. But every time i come home i stop and stare at my tank and fight the 'urge'....no matter how sweaty from running or drunk from drinking...the urge is always there.

There is medication for your illness. But to be honest the meds have not helped me at all. :lolspin:

Frogmanx82
12/11/2009, 10:48 PM
So where's the pics of this perfect tank? Maybe we can find some opportunities for you to mess with.

You have one more tank than me so you're already the crazy couple that collects fish. :spin2:

Sisterlimonpot
12/11/2009, 10:57 PM
To everyone who says i need another tank, my current count is 4.

2 at home (50 cube & 120 prop), then two at work (24x12x12 & finnex G4). My wife does want seahorses though, so i may put up another tank around christmas if i can do so without making us look like a crazy couple that collect fish.
Now that is an addiction. where's the 12 steps program for reefing?

Alex T.
12/11/2009, 11:02 PM
I'm the same way. I think if my wife, kids, close family and friends hear me talk about the tank anymore, they're going to make me see a psychiatrist. If you've got an addictive personality and you find this hobby, you'll have every contraption/device they'll sell you...maybe two of each. lol

1DeR9_3Hy
12/12/2009, 09:40 AM
Auxiliary hobbies for me. There's a lot of interesting stuff to learn that has nothing to do with reef keeping.

What kind of auxiliary hobby?

So where's the pics of this perfect tank? Maybe we can find some opportunities for you to mess with.

You have one more tank than me so you're already the crazy couple that collects fish. :spin2:

Now that is an addiction. where's the 12 steps program for reefing?

Someone said something about pics of the perfect tank, and well....i guess its not perfect. I dont like the rock work, but aside from custom building something then cooking it for months there is not a whole lot i could do about the rocks.

The 15 gallon at work is in my eyes perfect (texas holy rock, T5/LED lighting, one six line wrasse, some sps and Z's & P's). The G4 is just there with some shrooms and a rock...mostly because those tanks look great on there own.

The 120 needs the other half of its lighting finished, but without enough frags to fill the tank...i dont have any purpose to finish the lights yet.

Im setting up a 15 gallon ro/di reservoir and a 20 high mixing tank (stacked on top of each other for space savings). The 20 high is drilled in the bottom, which is where i will run a "T" and two valves. Once valve will dump into a 5 gallon bucket for my up stairs tank (cube) when i do WC's, the other will dump directly into the 120's sump. This should make WC's on the 120 super easy, and leave no excuses for being lazy.

Ill get pics later when its setup...a guess its gonna be another weekend reefing lol.