PDA

View Full Version : When to dose????

Vanquishxxxx
12/11/2009, 12:04 PM
when is the best time to dose, jsut automated my 2 part and would like to know when the best time to dose calc and alk are.??

jhawkor
12/11/2009, 12:06 PM
A lot of people dose during the night or early morning when PH is lowest.

JonnyD91
12/11/2009, 12:11 PM
I would do it over a 24Hr period. this way there is no spikes. What kind of auto-setup do you have?

Vanquishxxxx
12/11/2009, 01:29 PM
simple, 2 1.1ml per minute dosers(BRS) on timers with calcium chloride and sodium carbonate. its a 75g tank with lps and sps. was doing by hand every day but that was getting annoying.

JonnyD91
12/11/2009, 01:57 PM
simple, 2 1.1ml per minute dosers(BRS) on timers with calcium chloride and sodium carbonate. its a 75g tank with lps and sps. was doing by hand every day but that was getting annoying.

Thats what i will be setting up shortly. I will use my aquacontroller to control it. basically figure out how much total for each componet per day you need to dose. then divide it by 24 hours.

So say i dose 25 ml of each part per day manually now.

Have the controller turn the pump on for one minute every hour.

thats abbout 26.4 ml per day (1.1X24hrs) each part, and its spread out throughout the day so there isnt any spikes due to larger amounts being dosed.

Let that go and test daily for a week and adjust as needed.

JonnyD91
12/11/2009, 02:00 PM
On a side note I see you may not have a controller with the ability to dose multiple time increments. If thats the case then i would dose about 1-3 hours after Lights out for the night. Let it run its duration then turn off.

IslandCrow
12/11/2009, 03:47 PM
When you dose a 2-part, it shouldn't make much difference. It does not cause the PH spikes that kalkwasser does, so there's really no benefit in waiting until night time. Actually, the alkalinity part will cause a brief spike, but it won't last very long. I also don't see much need to spread out the dosing. I've always dosed as fast as my pump will add it (I use a peristaltic pump, so that's not actually very fast). I would avoid dosing both parts at the same time, though. If they start interacting with each other, they'll just precipitate as solid CaCO3. 5 or 10 minutes between dosing part 1 and part 2 should be more than sufficient.

TS14
12/11/2009, 03:48 PM
I dose mine in the morning before any of my lights are on and PH is down