PDA

View Full Version : Drilled Nano troubles

WorrBaller
12/11/2009, 02:59 PM
I have a 29g glass tank (no biocube) drilled with a 25g sump. 1" drain line with 3/4" return. Catalina something return pump (800gph). Toothless overflow box with 10 linear inches for the flow going to an external durso.

Now using the calculators on this site I figured my pump will push ~300gph into the display (4 feet of head). Also using the calcs here, I figured that 1" drain line would be sufficient to handle 300 gph.

But I have to dial back my return about 1/4 turn of the ball valve. So I'd guess 200-250gph or less going through my display and sump.

Additionally my overflow box fills more than it should. Instead of being inline with the bulkhead it is above the bulkhead.

So my issue, I think, is not enough flow. But I'm not sure where it is being restricted. Any help is appreciated.

uncleof6
12/11/2009, 08:36 PM
I have a 29g glass tank (no biocube) drilled with a 25g sump. 1" drain line with 3/4" return. Catalina something return pump (800gph). Toothless overflow box with 10 linear inches for the flow going to an external durso.

Now using the calculators on this site I figured my pump will push ~300gph into the display (4 feet of head). Also using the calcs here, I figured that 1" drain line would be sufficient to handle 300 gph.

But I have to dial back my return about 1/4 turn of the ball valve. So I'd guess 200-250gph or less going through my display and sump.

Additionally my overflow box fills more than it should. Instead of being inline with the bulkhead it is above the bulkhead.

So my issue, I think, is not enough flow. But I'm not sure where it is being restricted. Any help is appreciated.

The calculator does not understand the physics of "durso" modified standpipes. Richard Durso, the "inventor" of the durso, says that a 1" durso, on a 1" bulkhead, is basically "useless" (that's my word for it.) Increase the standpipe size to 1.25", on the 1" bulkhead, and at your 200 - 250 gph, it will probably be alright. If not, go up to 1.5". If your actual flow rate "wide open" is 300 gph, I would go with the 1.5" standpipe, though because I am thorough, I would up the bulkhead size also-- PITA.

Jim

WorrBaller
12/11/2009, 09:53 PM
Thank you that is what I was leaning towards but I don't fully understand the physics behind waterflow.

Ya, re-drilling the tank is pretty much out of the question 'cause this'll happen >:uzi: And then I'll go to jail. Not a good option.

I can deal with it for now and upgrade the plumbing later.

Thanks again.