PDA

View Full Version : What do you say?

terri_ann
12/11/2009, 08:00 PM
I finally received quotes for the 48"x14"x16" sump/fuge I'm needing. To get it without a center brace, they would upgrade from .25 inch material to 050" and Euro bracing, which they state is a 2" border around the top. Is this correct?

Also, I haven't asked them to put the baffles in as I was planning on having the hubby do that. Although he isn't a pro at carpentry, he has some experience. Would the bracing cause a major problem for him?

Lastly, I have stated in an earlier post that I may want to move the baffles at some time. Someone had suggested using rubber weather-stripping. Is this safe for my fish, etc? Are there any other ideas?

Thanks everyone:fish1:

boostat4500
12/11/2009, 10:23 PM
I've changed the baffles a couple time in my sump. I just use silicone to hold them in place. Easy to cut and re-do. Personally I'd worry about the weather stripping degrading. It's not designed to be submerged.

uncleof6
12/11/2009, 11:16 PM
Depending on the foot print of your skimmer, build it sumptin like this, and it is doubtful that you would find a need to move the baffles. Silicone and acrylic don't play well together, and it is an iffy proposition at best-- they may hold, they may not. I am equally skeptical of weatherstripping as well-- it will degrade. Think out carefully what you need your sump to do, understand the space limitations, and build it right-- build it once.;)

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/sump3-1.jpg

Jim

terri_ann
12/12/2009, 02:52 AM
I hear you Jim:D I'm just a little worried about my 135...the front corner seam has several bubbles in it and I'm hoping it continues to hold:eek1: It was built many, many years ago! I was thinking that if I ever need to replace it, I might need to modify the sump/fuge...that's a scary thought, all that water...loss of life...the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thanks!:fish2:

Rhodophyta
12/12/2009, 04:54 AM
I would take some proactive measures now about the bubbles in the tank. I would replace it now with a new tank the same foot print as the current one, either another 135, or a taller 150, or 180, or 210.

It used to be a great DIY project to rebuild an old leaker tank. It can still be done, but because the reptile hobbyists pay good money for tanks and don't care that they could leak, the financial part of the motivation is gone these days.

But if you wait until the tank "blows", it will lose value to anyone quick. Minor compared to the loss of life and the cost of damage to the house and replacement of animals, but one more consideration to encourage you to do something really really soon. At lest before the preholiday aquarium sales are over.