PDA

View Full Version : how do i fed my new moray eel

vinnyvalentine
12/11/2009, 08:59 PM
snowflake eel does seem to eat with rest of fish how do i get him to eat???

Shane Hoffman
12/11/2009, 09:00 PM
With a feeding stick. Also in the future this is a question you should answer before you have the fish. Its very important you are sure you have the ability to and products required for feeding before purchase.

vinnyvalentine
12/11/2009, 09:08 PM
the lfs store sales guy told me he would eat with rest of fish what can i rig up as a feeding stick and what do u recomend i feed him

tkimmons85
12/11/2009, 09:11 PM
Never trust the LFS guy unless you know for sure he knows what hes talking about. Alot of them will just tell what you need to hear to make the sale. I had a bud that feed his with a piece of food stuck on a bamboo food skewer, just enough to hold it on and put it in front of the eel.

Shane Hoffman
12/11/2009, 09:13 PM
I would try to get him to eat silver sides or krill. The feeding sticks are at LFS for 3 to 7 dollars pending on the store. I am not sure what you can rig up. It needs to be long and thin enough to pierce food.

billsreef
12/11/2009, 09:30 PM
A simple skewer like used for making shishkabobs on the grill will work in a pinch. I use a length of rigid airline tubing (the stuff used for undergravel filters) and pinch the end in around a plastic toothpick. Jab a piece of shrimp or silverside on the toothpick and place it in front of the eels face.

boostat4500
12/11/2009, 09:53 PM
How long have you had it? It took mine a good 2 weeks before I saw him come out and explore a little. Now when he comes out, I just drop some silversides in the tank while he's out and he snatches them up. I've even hand fed him a few times. After he eats, I won't see him again for a few days.

bwirth1999
12/11/2009, 09:54 PM
the lfs store sales guy told me he would eat with rest of fish what can i rig up as a feeding stick and what do u recomend i feed him

Maybe you misheard him, what he meant to say is "He will eat the fish." Not "Eat with the fish."

dahc1979
12/12/2009, 11:44 AM
When I had an eel I would use tongs to place krill in the substrate just enough so they wouldnt float back up to the top and he would find them. I also used this method to feed my banded cat shark it seemed to work for me. Good luck with your eel hope you got a very tight fitting lid my eel was an escape artist

Chi6488
12/12/2009, 12:16 PM
I feed my zebra half of a frozen shrimp from grocery store. I rinse then peel the shrimp. I use the wooden skewer. I use to just throw a shrimp in the tank every other day.

I am fighting a nitrate problem now so I do only half. When I fed the whole shrimp sometimes I would hold the shrimp as well for fun

Saltdog813
12/12/2009, 12:26 PM
How big is your lil guy? I want to get one for my tank I know my LFS has them every now and then for about 20-30 bucks about 4 to 6 inches in length. What do you all think? I dont want him to be a pain or eat some of my colony if I do get one.

graveyardworm
12/12/2009, 12:32 PM
Fed mine from my hand with shrimp, and silversides. Their sense of smell is amazing, eyesight when they get in close not so much. Got bitten more than once as he struck at the food. Once he got big it was time to start using my long tweezers.

vinnyvalentine
12/12/2009, 02:27 PM
well guys he is about 11 inches he is awsome still havent seen him eat yet he might have though i have had him about 5 days now he comes out at like 1130pm every single night and swims all around the tank i wonder if he is hungry i keep dumping food in there when hes swimming he shows no interest i added dogface puffer at same time and wow he eats anything i put in there and huge pieces cool fish!!!

billsreef
12/12/2009, 02:43 PM
Target feed him with a feeding stick or tongs when he starts wandering ;)