PDA

View Full Version : kalk reactor??

jwither1
12/11/2009, 11:56 PM
I am looking at geting the geo kalk reactor but dont understand what i need to get to put it on a timer with my top off syatem. I use a reef fanatic top off. I know if my top off system turns on right after the reactor mixes it will cause a ph spike.

What do i need to get to put it on a timer with my top off.

and how often do i need the reactor pump to turn on and for how long.

i guess what i am asking is what is everything i need to use the geo kalk reactor

it will be going on a 240 gal. mixed reef

thanks for imput

derek4real
12/12/2009, 12:04 AM
i am using a aqualifter on my Kalk reactor via ATO on my 150 (using a drip valve) . Been working great for me.

Sk8r
12/12/2009, 12:07 AM
Easy, dead cheap: you have a topoff reservoir. Dump in 2 tbs Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime per gallon of ro/di in there, set your topoff pump up on a block to keep it out of undissolved crud at the bottom (which will dissolve when you put more ro/di in) stir once, lid tightly with a gasket to prevent air getting in, and you're 300.00 richer and with a reliable system. You may wear out the occasional topoff pump (I use a maxijet 1200) but they're cheaper than a reactor. This is called a still kalk reservoir, and it works as well as the storebought sort.

Fishamatank
12/12/2009, 02:20 AM
Easy, dead cheap: you have a topoff reservoir. Dump in 2 tbs Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime per gallon of ro/di in there, set your topoff pump up on a block to keep it out of undissolved crud at the bottom (which will dissolve when you put more ro/di in) stir once, lid tightly with a gasket to prevent air getting in, and you're 300.00 richer and with a reliable system. You may wear out the occasional topoff pump (I use a maxijet 1200) but they're cheaper than a reactor. This is called a still kalk reservoir, and it works as well as the storebought sort.

Can you explain a few things in a little more detail please?
I stir the crap out of my kalk/RODI top off water 1 gallon at a time before I add it to the reservoir. Is that not necessary? I still have the pump up on a block b/c I understand some crap precipitates to the bottom, but hell, if I didn't have to mix it that would be great.

What about the air tight seal on the top? How important is that and why?

jwither1
12/12/2009, 09:44 AM
bump

CalmSeasQuest
12/21/2009, 06:35 AM
I'm also working on creating an ATO setup that includes Kalk. I found an interesting article by Randy Holmes-Farley that changed my plans to purchase the same reactor (Geo.) You might want to review before proceeding. I'm going to omit the reactor and simply add the Kalk to the RO/DO water then use a BRS ATO pump to deliver to the sump controlled by my Apex controller and floats from AutoTopOff.com.

Simply having extra Kalk power in the bottom of the container seems to offsets any loss experienced by the solution sitting and eliminates the need for a stirrer or pump agitation.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.php

This saves the costs (and maintenance) on another piece of equipment with similar results. The only hassle will be cleaning the top- off holding tank occasionally and coming up with a latch float system that will be dependable in the kalk-laden ro/di water (or just running the ro/di unit manually or on a timer.)