PDA

View Full Version : What do you put in your RO/DI tanks??

shackscs
12/12/2009, 01:12 AM
Well, I got the 70 gallon storage tank up and running.

The ATO is working as it should.

My question is, what if anything should I be adding to the RO/DI?

What are you adding to yours?

Fishamatank
12/12/2009, 02:14 AM
I put kalkwasser in mine because I don't have a kalk reactor, my reservoir is about 10 gallons.

I'd be careful with a 70 gallon reservoir, if your ATO goes nuts that is a real mess you've got on your hands.

shackscs
12/12/2009, 02:48 AM
I'd be careful with a 70 gallon reservoir, if your ATO goes nuts that is a real mess you've got on your hands.

I have a dual float system installed, if the sump goes too far the second switch turns off the pump.

Do you stir the Kalk at all or just add it once and that is it?

Fishamatank
12/12/2009, 02:52 AM
I stir it, but I was just read something about just a quick stir and an airtight lid, but I know nothing about it. I would rather not have to stir it like I am currently doing, that's for sure.

sjm817
12/12/2009, 07:48 AM
Kalk is the best thing to add to your topoff. It should be initially mixed, then allowed to settle. No further mixing should be done until it is used up. Covered is fine. It doesn't need to be air tight.

bglegs
12/12/2009, 08:10 AM
Kalk is the best thing to add to your topoff. It should be initially mixed, then allowed to settle. No further mixing should be done until it is used up. Covered is fine. It doesn't need to be air tight.

I second that...

shackscs
12/12/2009, 10:18 AM

My retun pump in the ATO tank is sitting on the bottom, will this pull some of what has settled into the DT?

Fishamatank
12/12/2009, 10:19 AM
Probably, the instructions on the package that I have say that the water should not be pumped directly off the bottom.

shackscs
12/12/2009, 10:34 AM
Ok, so I can suspend in the pump off the bottom. But at what point would I be draining the tank? Won't the kalk keep adding up on the bottom?

coralmojo
12/12/2009, 10:45 AM
I mix up my kalk in 2 five gallon buckets in the garage and pump with dosing pump under the house with hose into sump...one bucket is settling while other being used...the hose running into bucket for siphoning is suspended through a hole in a piece of styrofoam...I run the hose through the styrofoam and then tie a loose knot in it with 1 inch daggling into suspension...it floats down in the styrofoam and I switch out before it hits bottom...I drilled a hole in the lid that the hose can pass through...then I just switch out lid/styrofoam/hose between buckets...takes a bout 10 seconds...not extremely fancy but extremely easy...

DrMerle

sjm817
12/12/2009, 01:37 PM
I use Aqualifter pumps for Kalk ATO. They sit outside of the topoff container, and kalk doesn't seem to affect them. Keep the intake off the bottom an inch or two.

shackscs
12/12/2009, 01:43 PM
I use a mag12 pump to get from the r/o tank to the sump so I can get it off the bottom.

Since my sump sits below the ro tank, I have a small hole in the line to break the siphon when the pump shuts off.

Can I do this as well with aqualifter pump?

sjm817
12/12/2009, 02:05 PM
Mag12?? Do you mean a MJ1200? If you have a siphon problem, the top of your topoff container is higher than the output. Best way to correct that is to move the output higher than the top of the topoff container. You can put a length pf PVC in the sump and put the output of the ATO in the top of the PVC pipe.

shackscs
12/12/2009, 02:11 PM
Yes mag12 It was part of the setup I got. The system works so I will stick with it. I need to get pump off the bottom and start adding kalk.

squidy3
12/12/2009, 02:17 PM
I use an 8 g ATO. Mix the Kalk in a 5g bucket, let settle, the pump the water using a MJ600 from the bucket thru a hole in my ATO container. This is so I dont have to pull the container out everytime I need to fill it. I always leave 1-2" in the bucket.

sjm817
12/12/2009, 02:29 PM
A Mag12 is a REALLY BIG pump for an ATO.