PDA

View Full Version : O-Dell tank

motoms
12/12/2009, 12:27 PM
Does any one know if you can drill the side panel of a old o-dell tank I cant find the manufacture any were i would assume there out of business the tank is from the early 1970.

motoms
12/12/2009, 05:12 PM
Can no one help me on this

seafloor09
12/12/2009, 06:43 PM
Drill baby drill,

Really it's ok on the side panels.

Tang Salad
12/12/2009, 07:41 PM
I'd be a little nervous about using a 30+ year old tank.

seafloor09
12/12/2009, 08:23 PM
The age of the glass I doubt has anything to do with drilling

Tang Salad
12/12/2009, 08:25 PM
The age of the glass I doubt has anything to do with drilling
True, it's the age of the silicone that I'd worry about. 20 years is a common lifespan estimate, though that depends a lot on construction quality and how well it's been treated over the years.

mapleredta
12/12/2009, 08:39 PM
I had one. The sides could not be drilled, they were tempered.

motoms
12/12/2009, 08:40 PM
The tank has been resealed so not worried about that just want to know about drilling side pannel for a external pump the glass is half inch thick.

mapleredta
12/12/2009, 08:46 PM
The tank has been resealed so not worried about that just want to know about drilling side pannel for a external pump the glass is half inch thick.

Get a pair of polarized sun glasses. If you can see "waves" in the glass, you can't drill it. Well, you can but you won't have a tank that holds water.

seafloor09
12/12/2009, 09:41 PM
Found this tip

This will work with almost any LCD screen...small cell phone LCDs as well as Laptop LCDs. A very few LCDs do not have this type of filter. If it goes dark when you tilt your head one way or the other while wearing polarized sunglasses then you can use it to test your glass.
This works because the stress in the tempered glass causes light to polarize in a pattern within the glass. Some people can see this as "color patterns" when sunlight passes through tempered glass.

A clear way to see if glass is tempered is to place a white LCD screen (notepad maximized) behind the glass and look at the Screen through a polarizing filter.

motoms
12/12/2009, 10:09 PM
Found this tip

This will work with almost any LCD screen...small cell phone LCDs as well as Laptop LCDs. A very few LCDs do not have this type of filter. If it goes dark when you tilt your head one way or the other while wearing polarized sunglasses then you can use it to test your glass.
This works because the stress in the tempered glass causes light to polarize in a pattern within the glass. Some people can see this as "color patterns" when sunlight passes through tempered glass.

A clear way to see if glass is tempered is to place a white LCD screen (notepad maximized) behind the glass and look at the Screen through a polarizing filter.

Thanks I'll try it

infodigger
08/03/2016, 04:24 PM
Hi, I'm looking for any kind of documentation about O'Dell tanks. Does anyone carries old magazines / advertising / catalogs? Thanks in advance