PDA

View Full Version : Help me stock my 70gal...please

LSUtiger
12/13/2009, 02:48 PM
Hello. I'd like some advice/comments on stocking my 70 gal reef with 100lbs of LR and 30 gal sump with skimmer and fuge. The main display is nearly 3' x 2' x 20" h.

I currently have:

2 false percs (two years old from my previous tank)
1 Mandarin Goby (had him for 2 weeks)
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab
Bunches of snails, hermit crabs, bugs...

I have a few different corals, some acros, montis, frogspawn, rics.

I don't want to push the limits with stocking, so help me avoid that. Here are the fish I was thinking of:

- Green Chromis (3 of these)
- Sixline Wrasse (Should I avoid this sine I have the mandarin?)
- Flaming Prawn Goby (2 of these - I realize I may seldom see these)
- 3 stripe or 4 stripe Damsel (If I add him last will he still be to agressive?)
- Yellow Stripe Clingfish
- Yellow Watchman Goby (rocks are on sandbed - will he cause these to fall?)
- fire shrimp

Plus one of the following:
- Yellow Tang
- Sargassum Trigger
- Copperband Butterfly

Thanks for the help! I'll take any other suggestions, too....and any advice on what order the fish should be added.

Thanks,
Mark

John&Steph
12/13/2009, 03:04 PM
I would do a small copper band and one of the triggers. I hate antiplasia so I keep on in there.

I would not put the wrass if you already have a goby.

I like shrimp though they are some of my favorite things I had and will have again soon as I can catch the trigger that will be finding a new home.

IFbettas
12/13/2009, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't get the damsel, because once it grows older it will terrorize the other fish (even if added last). The sixline wrasse will also be a pain in the butt some day. Mine has killed 4 other wrasses and a firefish. I hate him, and will never get another one.

LSUtiger
12/13/2009, 05:40 PM
Would the wrasse only bother other wrasses, or would he pick on the other fish on my list?

ScarletReef
12/13/2009, 09:33 PM
I would avoid the wrasse with a mandarin, it is a much more aggressive feeder. In addition, I would think carefully about the clingfish bc I have heard they are shrimp eaters. The damsels you have mentioned get quite aggressive, but I have 3 yellow tailed blues that have been in my tank quite peacefully for a year now, so I can recommend them. One final note is that I have heard that chromis can start picking each other off. It sounds like it will be a pretty tank. Good luck and post pics! :)

Varanus37
12/13/2009, 11:19 PM
I would agree with most in not going with the six-line and mandarin. The food competition and overall aggression from the six-line aren't worth it to me. I like the way CBB's look and they're good pest control but if you like tube worms or feather dusters at all then I would avoid that fish as well. My CBB ate every feather duster and tube worm in my tank in no time at all, including decorative species and nice looking hitchers. YWG's are neat fish and I think have great personality.

Bill

Stumped
12/14/2009, 01:07 AM
- Flaming Prawn Goby (2 of these - I realize I may seldom see these)

I wouldn't add these to a 70g tank. Everything I've read about them says they're reclusive and since they are only like 1" large you'll be spending $100+ on two fish you'll literally never see. I've been off and on about getting one to add to a peaceful 24g tank and always end up opting against it because there would still be a chance I wouldnt see it often enough.