PDA

View Full Version : CTARS April Conference

tank o tang
12/13/2009, 03:39 PM
CTARS asked if we would relay info about their annual conference:

scolley
12/13/2009, 07:33 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's very funny. Maybe we could help them collect some dues. I think it's that time of year again.

Actually... what we need to do, is ask them if they will please post our meeting schedule on their forum. Tit for tat. Right?

fiddly_foo
12/13/2009, 07:39 PM
Lol

tank o tang
12/14/2009, 12:21 AM
I have reached out to CTARS new pres. and looks like they are going about business differentially. We are going to try and work together to promote the hobby. I hope in the near future we will be allowed to post our meeting info in their forum and we will also invite them to post in ours. Maybe even try to have a combine meeting down the road. Who knows maybe if we have people interested maybe we can even get an ARK booth at the conference.

metal1971
12/14/2009, 01:14 AM
tank o tang , I think that would be great. I belong to a couple of clubs (ctars being one of them) and think that 2 reef clubs in the same state working together would be a very possitive thing for promoteing and advanceing the hobbie. So like you said , your reaching out to us I am in turn extending my hand to you. thanks

scolly, your comments, 1)"That's very funny. Maybe we could help them collect some dues. I think it's that time of year again."
2)"Actually... what we need to do, is ask them if they will please post our meeting schedule on their forum. Tit for tat. Right"

first comment , Imo uncalled for and is just asking for negative results.
second comment , I agree whats fair is fair.

I would rather have 2 clubs working together than pulling each other down. Just my .02 though.
thanks, happy reefing

fiddly_foo
12/14/2009, 06:40 AM
Yea I think us 2 clubs should work together as long as we can get along theres no reason for it not too, were not little kids anymore maybe feel like kids in a toy store at frag meets lol.. The more people the more help is out there for us reefers for ?'s and help on problems we may have. So I'm all for it maybe once every 6 months have a big meeting for every club in CT. to get together and talk about different things and ideas that can help us out as a whole. But thats just another idea im throwing up to... Brian

Obi-dad
12/14/2009, 11:00 AM
I agree with keeping it friendly between the clubs - I belong to both, and enjoy both.

They are somewhat different, and in my opinion, not competing. ARK is nice because it is small enough where it feels comfortable just 'bs'ing with the guys', and CTARS is big enough to land big-time speakers which I also enjoy.

Let's try to keep this from becoming an 'us versus them' thing (I had more than my fill of that in school...)

sdheath
12/14/2009, 11:47 AM
CTARS asked if we would relay info about their annual conference:
Thanks for letting us announce this here, Jeff. The annual CMAC conference is going to take place on April 25, 2010. We've got a great lineup of speakers and our vendor space filled up, we added more space, and we're sold out again. Last year's conference was a big hit and this one should be even better. Early bird pricing is in effect until 12/31 so now is a great time to get your tickets.

More details here (http://www.ctars.org/default.aspx?uc=conference2010)

I look forward to the clubs working together in 2010. I see no need for competition; we're all in this hobby together. If you guys want any of your meeting dates announced in the CTARS forum just send the details to me and I'll post them.

tank o tang
12/14/2009, 01:29 PM
In defense of Scolley, I totally agree with him until I had a chance to communicate with Steve. We have had our differences between clubs but would really like to put that to rest. Lets enjoy our hobby. Congrats to the new CTARS board and looking forward to working together.

scolley
12/14/2009, 06:05 PM
scolly, your comments, 1)"That's very funny. Maybe we could help them collect some dues. I think it's that time of year again."...
...first comment , Imo uncalled for and is just asking for negative results.

Well, I AM sorry I was sarcastic. I should have thought more before I posted that. Sorry folks. The sarcasm was uncalled for. [RANT ON]
But I'm unrepentant on the sentiment.

I have nothing against CTARS. God bless 'em. Clearly an unbelievable club. And I've never been to a fish club where I didn't really like most everyone I met. I'm sure CTARS is the same. But I'm given to understand that there is a history of some pretty nasty activities on the part of a limited set of CTARS members in trying to thwart this club getting off the ground. And I'm not going into the details on-line. But assuming what I believe to be true, is indeed true, being a little jaded about such requests seems par for the course. Especially requests that would allow them to pull more members from this geography, possibly at this club's expense. Not apologizing for that.

I'm not asking that anyone agree with my position. I just want folks to know the sentiment was not without cause. At least not in my eyes.
[RANT OFF]
I'm personally happy to cooperate with CTARS. I'm supporting this club because I want to be in a reef club that meets close to me - all the time - not remotely near me once or twice a year. And the density of reefers in our area supports that.

And shucks, I'm sure I'll head over to a CTARS meeting sometime when I feel like a good drive. I have no doubt that like most fish clubs, most of them are wonderful people. So if we're letting bygones be bygones... I'm all for it. But that's a two way street. I'm good on this side...

Diadado
12/14/2009, 09:54 PM
We belong to both but have only been to ARK meetings so far because Manchester is just too far a drive for a Sunday evening at this point.