PDA

View Full Version : Coral Feeding Question

Eric45
12/13/2009, 05:32 PM
Coral Feeding Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been feeding my LPS corals small pieces of fish, mysis, brine shrimp etc...at night when the fish are asleep. But I'm wondering whether I could be feeding them during the day when the light is on and the fish are awake. That way I, and more importantly others, could see the LPS corals in all their expanded polyp beauty.

I tried this today with a combination of black powder, frozen cyclopeeze and a cube of frozen cyclops (maybe the same thing). It appeared to work on my open brains and the blasto's, not sure about the acans or favia. My black polyps which are new opened right away, my orange ones opened a little, but they've been fed only at night and I've heard they can be trained to open during the day.

So my question is: What foods are small enough to be essentially ignored by most fish and yet eaten by corals. Seems to me the only way to feed the corals by daylight w/o the greedy fish snapping up all or at least most of the food. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Remn
12/13/2009, 11:16 PM
I use coral frenzy, its very small and powder-ish. My livestock goes crazy when I add it to the tank, and its too small for my fish to eat.