PDA

View Full Version : Salt help

Reefobsession
12/13/2009, 09:05 PM
Which salt should I go with? I know there is countless threads on the best salt. Well I can't decide between 5. So please help me make my decision.

Sisterlimonpot
12/13/2009, 09:13 PM
It depends on what you have in your tank (fish only, reef). I have a reef tank and use Reef Crystals, it has higher levels of alk, calc and mag than its counter part instant ocean

cubsFAN
12/13/2009, 09:17 PM
I've used reef crystals for years, but i've been thinking about trying something new for no particular reason.

insane
12/13/2009, 09:21 PM
Going with a regular salt or a reef specific salt is a very long age old debate. If you plan on dosing kalk, calcium and trace elements you could go with a basic salt mix since you would be adding to it anyways.

Some just grab whatever is on sale while others will be loyal to just the one brand of their liking.

mojo~
12/13/2009, 09:36 PM
I use d&d h2ocean

Reefobsession
12/13/2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies all, It is for a SPS/LPS tank. Trying to decide if the pricey salts are really worth the cost compared to IO or reef crystals.

Remn
12/13/2009, 11:01 PM
I use D-D H2Ocean too, but you can't go wrong with reef crystals.

Reefobsession
12/13/2009, 11:16 PM
People using H20 you notice a large difference?

uncleof6
12/13/2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the replies all, It is for a SPS/LPS tank. Trying to decide if the pricey salts are really worth the cost compared to IO or reef crystals.

I have been using IO, since the beginning of time. I am not going bother saying it is the best, as this is an anecdotal statement, and there is far to much ad hype associated with salt mixes, already. The only proviso I have, is I can't see spending more money on a salt mix with higher than natural levels of certain constituents, and other than natural proportions of same. (I see this playing out often here with very high levels of this and very low levels of that-- over time. I also don't buy the trace element hype, as these things are usually present as impurities, not by intent, and are in most salt mixes that I am familiar with.

Jim

Remn
12/13/2009, 11:45 PM
People using H20 you notice a large difference?

I like it cause I don't have to dose magnesium. It mixes well without any residue left on the powerhead. The parameters from the salt are accurate when I mix by weight rather than the number of cups as instructed by D-D. I do 1lb per 3 gallon RO/DI, while most reefers do 1/2 cup per gallon and the salinity is perfect at 1.025 every time as well as the other parameters. I use a cheap dollar scale I got from the dollar store and a measuring cup. :)

lougotzz
12/13/2009, 11:51 PM
I've used reef crystals for years, but i've been thinking about trying something new for no particular reason.

Me too LOL that's how I got seachem.

jbird69
12/14/2009, 12:07 AM
Coralife "The best salt on earth" :)

Reefobsession
12/14/2009, 12:38 AM
Lougotz-Have you noticed any difference from RC? I am leaning towards reef crystals or seachem. I really don't know what to beleive on the more expensive salts.
jbird-I have heard that coralife is very imballanced. Really high calc and mag but low alc. Also heard that it isn't consistant in every batch.

kingfisher62
12/14/2009, 12:49 AM
Whatever you decide, I believe DR. fosters is still offering $5.99 shipping!
BTW, I like Reef Crystals. I do not dose my tanks and as long as I keep up with my water changes my corals seem to do fine.

PaxRoma
12/14/2009, 12:54 AM
I used Tropic Marin Pro Reef for 1 year, had a moderate hair algae. Switched to Reef Crystal and algae is gone. I've now been using RC.

Reefobsession
12/14/2009, 01:03 AM
Leaning more towards reef crystals now. I have kent at the moment, and it is allright. Alk is a little low, got some hair algae in small patchs, just want to try something diff. I like the RC price tag.

Sorry Jbird I was thinking of oceanic not coalife.

Anyone else love corallife?

NYC/NJREEFS
12/14/2009, 01:08 AM
I started my tank on Feb 20, 2008 w/Instant Ocean, FOWLR, then around 10/2008 I got the reef bug, LoL. I switched to Red Sea Coral Pro until 09/2009 when I upgraded to my present 72ga bowfront tank. I am now using Brightwell. One thing I like is how well and fast it dissolves when making a batch of water. It is crystal clear within a couple of hours and no residue on bottom of mixing container. I dont have a problem with it so far, no complaints except the price. LFS got it for 69.99 + tax.

username in use
12/14/2009, 07:02 AM
I didnt vote because theres is no choice for collecting your own from the ocean,

arredondojason
12/14/2009, 07:11 AM
I really like the tropic Marine Pro just remember that the pro is for tanks with a calcium reactor so if you are not running one just get the regular Tropic Marine.

Reefobsession
12/14/2009, 07:36 AM
I didnt vote because theres is no choice for collecting your own from the ocean,

I wish I could, but I live in Indiana

Reefobsession
12/14/2009, 07:37 AM
I really like the tropic Marine Pro just remember that the pro is for tanks with a calcium reactor so if you are not running one just get the regular Tropic Marine.

Hm, Is tropic marine really worth the cost compared to RC?

BigandUgly
12/14/2009, 07:40 AM
I wish I could, but I live in Indiana

Sounds like an excuse for a road trip. Grab a buddy, a U-Haul and a bunch of buckets. You won't have to buy salt again for a long time!

username in use
12/14/2009, 07:43 AM

Where did you read this? i used to use the pro without a reactor and never saw any problems.

HotRodsFishTank
12/14/2009, 07:49 AM
I have had some consistancy issues with a few salts. Switched to Tropic Marine and never had a problem since!:rollface:

HotRodsFishTank
12/14/2009, 07:51 AM
Tropic Marine has always been conistantly good for me. Never had any issues, and if you shop around you can normally get it for around $50 a bucket and well worth every penny!:p

Reefobsession
12/14/2009, 07:56 AM
Sounds like an excuse for a road trip. Grab a buddy, a U-Haul and a bunch of buckets. You won't have to buy salt again for a long time!

haha that would be sweet. Could you get in trouble for this? I am not actually going to do this, but out of interest how many poeple actually do this?

Reefobsession
12/14/2009, 07:57 AM
Tropic Marine has always been conistantly good for me. Never had any issues, and if you shop around you can normally get it for around $50 a bucket and well worth every penny!:p

Where can you get it for $50 without spending an arm and a leg for shipping?

BigandUgly
12/14/2009, 08:04 AM
haha that would be sweet. Could you get in trouble for this? I am not actually going to do this, but out of interest how many poeple actually do this?

There are a lot of people that use natural seawater. There are no rules against taking water. Be careful taking corals, fish, rocks. There are rules against taking some of them.

jbird69
12/14/2009, 09:01 AM
Leaning more towards reef crystals now. I have kent at the moment, and it is allright. Alk is a little low, got some hair algae in small patchs, just want to try something diff. I like the RC price tag.

Sorry Jbird I was thinking of oceanic not coalife.

Anyone else love corallife?

Ive been using nothing but coralife for about 11 years now. I get it locally for $39.99 a bucket. Check the specs on it, very good properties for reef tanks. Never had a single instance of inconsistancy

runyonh
12/14/2009, 09:08 AM
I use instant ocean on both my reefs. It has performed well for me.

spleify
12/14/2009, 09:33 AM
I have had good success with Reef Crystals

Reefobsession
12/14/2009, 10:22 AM
Whats the major differnce in reef crysteals and IO?

Chupakabra-King
12/14/2009, 11:21 AM
Been using IO since I was 10 years old . (since 1980) It's pretty ingrained in me to use IO . Never once did I have a problem with it . Gonna keep using it for now , although I have been tempted to try Reef Crystals.

PaxRoma
12/14/2009, 04:33 PM
RC claimed to have more trace elements, calcium, alk, Magnesium well above IO and natural seawater.

Reefobsession
12/14/2009, 08:50 PM
I am going to go with Reef crystals. I can get 160 gallons for $50 shipped. Thats a steal!!!!

Nereaga
12/14/2009, 08:51 PM
Coralife!

Mako
12/14/2009, 09:45 PM
Long time IO user here. I always thought if it's good enough for the SeaWorld in Orlando, the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, and the Georgia Aquarium (worlds largest) then it's good enough for me.

Dabbled with Reef Crystal over the years, but it was always cheaper for me to buff up IO once mixed rather than pay for it outta the box.

kingfisher62
12/15/2009, 07:12 AM
Been using IO since I was 10 years old . (since 1980) It's pretty ingrained in me to use IO . Never once did I have a problem with it . Gonna keep using it for now , although I have been tempted to try Reef Crystals.

You should try it , I think you will see a difference in your corals!

dwd5813
12/15/2009, 07:18 AM
so hotrods, how do you feel about tropic marin? ;)

basically what i've come to find when researching salts is that there are a lot of perfectly adequate salts out there and if you look over the test thread in the chemistry forum you can find out a lot about several different salts. in many cases, no matter which salt you choose you will need to supplement the big three (Mg, Ca, Alk) at some point so for me the best way to go about it is to choose the salt which is A) readily available and B) most closely matches natural parameters, again referring to results of testing similar to that done in the chem. thread.

champ128
12/15/2009, 07:26 AM
My LFS brings in tropic marine in 84# grain bags that make 300 gals for $82. It is a very good salt IMO especially given the price

teesquare
12/15/2009, 07:39 AM
A real can of worms...........

"best matching natural perameters"..........

WHERE? And - WHO did the measurements, and testing? Fair and objective? Can we know that for a fact? What reef, in which ocean, at what lattitude, temperature, depth....and so on?
I am not trying to argue that any manufacturer is lying, or that any one of them makes junk.
But there seems to be a presumption that just because there is

I have used most of the brands out there thru the years. Truth is - I cannot actually say that one of them was vastly superior to another. Some mix easier than others - but even that may vary by your location, even using RO water.
Price and availability are probably more important than any other factor in the long run. My advice would be to choose whatever you feel you can have confidence in. And - don't just blame the salt for anything that goes wrong in the tank over time. Look for real answers.
T

Reefobsession
12/15/2009, 08:10 AM
This is why I am choosing RC. Not a cheap salt, but is in the middle. Not that price makes a huge difference. It has been around since the stone ages and is the most widely used and available salt. For $50 shipped thats a good deal to me. If I had a larger system, I would probably just go for IO and tweak the CA, MG, and ALK with supplements. But since I only have a 72, I would rather just get RC. It will last me half a year. So $100 in salt a year is pretty good.

Don't get me wrong, Kent salt was pretty good. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the high CA, and the low ALK. Kent also seemed to be inconsistant in salinity. It sometimes would take less than half a cup, sometimes more than half a cup to get 1.025 per gallon.

RC seems like a good fit. I am to worried that if I get Tropic Marine that I will like it to much. I will look into Premiumaquatics and see if they have tropic marine not tropic marine pro for $60. If they do I will get it. But if not I will go with RC from DF&S
Thanks everyone, yo-u have helped me narrow it down to 2.

mnestroy
12/18/2009, 11:15 PM
Long time IO user here. I always thought if it's good enough for the SeaWorld in Orlando, the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, and the Georgia Aquarium (worlds largest) then it's good enough for me.

I don't agree with your logic.

Keep in mind these are very large institutions with a large staff of experts that can closely monitor and compensate for any varations or deficiencies.

The goal for most is to buy a quality salt so you get consistent results and can avoid dosing suppliments.

las
01/18/2010, 03:51 PM
I don't agree with your logic.

Keep in mind these are very large institutions with a large staff of experts that can closely monitor and compensate for any varations or deficiencies.

The goal for most is to buy a quality salt so you get consistent results and can avoid dosing suppliments.

that seems the most logical to me... plus, you dont shock corals with inconsistent levels everytime you do a water change.

las
01/18/2010, 03:56 PM
I like it cause I don't have to dose magnesium. It mixes well without any residue left on the powerhead. The parameters from the salt are accurate when I mix by weight rather than the number of cups as instructed by D-D. I do 1lb per 3 gallon RO/DI, while most reefers do 1/2 cup per gallon and the salinity is perfect at 1.025 every time as well as the other parameters. I use a cheap dollar scale I got from the dollar store and a measuring cup. :)

Ive been using D-D and doing the 1/2 cup/gal method.... is 1lb/3 gal the better way to go? do you try to mix your salt up( roll it around to prevent the effect of settling )? What the best way to do this?

thanks

Nereaga
01/18/2010, 04:57 PM
If coralife is not an option, I would go with Seachem reef salt. Good numbers with both salts.

Brad