PDA

View Full Version : Potassium

bohlke
12/13/2009, 10:14 PM
So I thought some of my kits were inaccurate so I did an AWT test. Shows my Ca and Alk kits are off, everything else is fine. The results also showed low Potassium is that more likely due to the low Ca? If I use two part to get the Ca back to about 440 will that help bring the Potassium up?

Ammonia (NH3-4) ........................Good ......................................... 0.003
Nitrite (NO2)................................Good ......................................... 0.001
Nitrate (NO3)...............................Good .............................................0.6
Phosphate (PO4) ..........................Good ........................................... 0.07
Silica (SiO2-3) ............................. High..............................................0.6
Potassium (K) ...............................Low............................................. 185
Calcium (Ca).................................Low............................................. 349
Boron (B) ....................................Good .............................................3.4
Molybdenum (Mo).........................Good .............................................0.1
Strontium (Sr) .............................Good .............................................8.3
Magnesium (Mg) ..........................Good .......................................... 1200
Iodine (I¯)...................................Good ........................................... 0.07
Copper (Cu++) ............................Good ........................................... 0.03
Alkalinity (meq/L).........................Good ........................................... 2.79

bertoni
12/13/2009, 10:24 PM
I am not sure that AWT testing is any better than our test kits. They have had a lot of issues with their results. I am not sure that the potassium level in your tank is low, but some water changes would improve that, if the salt mix is okay. Calcium and potassium don't interact, not at any appreciable level, anyway, so that's not the issue.

bohlke
12/13/2009, 10:38 PM
I am not sure that AWT testing is any better than our test kits. They have had a lot of issues with their results. I am not sure that the potassium level in your tank is low, but some water changes would improve that, if the salt mix is okay. Calcium and potassium don't interact, not at any appreciable level, anyway, so that's not the issue.

I have suspected my test kits were off (new RC water tested at 560 ppm Ca, 15 Alk) for a little bit so I am assuming that there readings (100ppm lower than mine) are probably more accurate. I was just reading that 2 part and Kalk have enough Potassium to maintain what our tanks need. Is it worth getting a Potassium test kit since I will be replacing the other two anyway? Would an SPS tank need additional Potassium supplements, I try to do weekly 10% water changes.

bertoni
12/13/2009, 10:49 PM
Kalk doesn't add any potassium. Some two-parts likely have some. There isn't any evidence that potassium supplementation is needed, at least with that kind of water change schedule.

RC should mix up to about 490 ppm and 13 dKH, at SG 1.0264, so your kits might be a bit off.

coralmojo
12/13/2009, 10:59 PM
I run zeovit hybrid system and potassium is very important the more sps you have...should be equal to Ca...380-420...does make a difference..

DrMerle

bohlke
12/13/2009, 11:09 PM
I run zeovit hybrid system and potassium is very important the more sps you have...should be equal to Ca...380-420...does make a difference..

DrMerle

Do you use the zeovit test kit for Potassium?