PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop build question

peppie
12/13/2009, 10:30 PM
Building closed loop for 90 gallon...I have 1" bulkhead reduced to 3/4" return line that's approx 30" long with 10 1/2" directional ports for the right side of the tank and the same for the other side. I'll use a pump that is rated approx 1200 to 1600gph. Will I have enough flow to all ports or will I lose pressure due to too many ports?

dots
12/13/2009, 10:37 PM
Welcome to Reef Central.......................... :)

Flow=Area*Velocity

Flow(total)=Flow(1)+Flow(2)

When Area goes up, Velocity goes down.

peppie
12/14/2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the math fourmula, All I read was jibber jabber. My math is not up to par. Thought someone could tell me if I was in left field, or I could cast this system into rock?

gary faulkner
12/14/2009, 08:37 PM
Peppie,

I think what dots is trying to say is this; place adjustable valves to each return and you will be able to adjust velocity. The more restricted your lines are the more velocity you will have but it will also mean less flow. It is an inverse relationship.

HTH a little at least.

Oh and by the way

[welcome]

knedrag
12/14/2009, 08:42 PM
you will most likely loose pressure. I had 5 outlets, and I saw considerable loss on the last ones.

You can shorten the distance from the point the flow enters the tank and the pump itself. I have my pumps on a shelf behind the tank. I have about 15 inches of vertical distance for the pump to move water.

I have 3 outlets for each little giant pump. Hope that helps.

knedrag
12/14/2009, 08:46 PM
i have posted a pic of the tank that shows the most of the closed loop I use. The middle outlets are from the sump return.

peppie
12/14/2009, 08:49 PM
I understand the restriction and flow part. but will I have as much flow out of my last port as I have out of my first? Or will it be a dribble. I will have a ball valve at each of the four returns.

billsreef
12/14/2009, 08:54 PM
The flow decrease as you go down the line, if all ports are wide open. If you have a valve to control each one, you can adjust the valves the allow equal flow for all ports.

peppie
12/15/2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info. I have decided to reduce the number of directional ports to assure that I have flow out of all ports.