PDA

View Full Version : Any problem running a skimmer without a collection cup?

stealle
12/13/2009, 10:52 PM
Any problem running a skimmer without a collection cup just for overnight?

Some people turn off their skimmer for a half hour, hour, or even overnight when adding certain things to the tank (like Prodibio). They do this to make sure the skimmer doesn't just skim out the product before it has a chance to do it's thing.

It seems like a better idea would be to keep the skimmer running and just remove the collection cup. That way nothing gets removed, but you continue to aerate the water. Any thoughts?

rbnice1
12/13/2009, 10:57 PM
Other then tons of micro bubbles shouldnt be a issue if you have decent baffles.

dahenley
12/13/2009, 11:49 PM
if you have a sump and some powerheads in the main tank, you should have plenty of oxygen. if you just took your skimmer cup off, you would end up with salt creep and spray everywhere. i have left my skimmer running while i just cleaned the cup and it was a mess. that was just 5min worth of the cup being off. thats my opinion.

one bad thing, if you leave you skimmer going, it will still foam and make skimmate. it will just sit on the top of your water in your sump. you will have a nasty layer that you will have to deal with later......... (been there, got the tee shirt)

harper
12/13/2009, 11:56 PM
I leave mine on without a cup for a couple hours after waterchange. For some reason the water tends to foam over right after waterchange. No problems for me. But depending on setup microbubles/spray might be.

kevinbeth
12/14/2009, 05:55 PM
I would just turn it off i dont think it would make that much diff.