PDA

View Full Version : Do Line-loc return lines return through or over internal overflow box?

torero500
12/14/2009, 10:20 PM
I don't know how to plumb the return lines. I'm kinda stuck, as the 3/4 inch pipe comes up, I was going to Y off and do 2 outlets wtih line-loc flex line, each getting equal flow.

What is the most common way to configure the return line?

1. A 1/2 bulkhead just below the overflow teeth, or
2. Up and over the overflow teeth then back down into the tank, or
3. Carve out an overflow tooth and run the line through the space?

If I went through the bulkhead I was planning a very short little piece into the tank...don't really like the look of alot of return line plumbing. Attached is a crude picture of my overflow box with the 2 circles representing drain and return tube.

bertoni
12/14/2009, 10:49 PM
Usually, there's room to run the return line over the overflow someplace. I wouldn't do any carving of the tank. Running up and over is fine.

anticarp
12/14/2009, 11:03 PM
I have two that go up and over, I'll attach a picture of what mine look like.

HulaDad
12/14/2009, 11:06 PM
Usually the overflow has two pop outs on either side of the overflow teeth, you would want to pop out the one that is on the side of you return, and not your drain....

torero500
12/14/2009, 11:48 PM
Looking at the overflow, it was custom made black acrylic and has no pop outs unfortunately. And it comes with a nice black acrylic piece to fit over the overflow to keep tank critter outs. So I'm not quite sure what to do, I'll either have to run the bulkheads, make a few cutouts on the acrylic cover piece to do the up and over, or else take a tooth out..there would be about 1 and 1/8 inch between teeth. So not sure...

Toddrtrex
12/14/2009, 11:52 PM
Mine had a little cut out where the loc-line fit through. Not sure if this picture helps you or not, but this is how mine is.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/alldown3.jpg

lordofthereef
12/15/2009, 12:10 AM
^ just how mine looks.

torero500
12/15/2009, 10:49 AM
Here's a pic of the overflow and its location in the tank. Todd, that is how I'd like to do it. Since I dont have a premade hole, I guess I'd have to take a tooth out and just come out left side only because the drain pipe and muffler are probably going to get in the way. The drain line is on the right.

torero500
12/15/2009, 06:56 PM
With those pictures, how should I go about configuring it?