PDA

View Full Version : seagrass/macro algae & corals

sassyfrassy
12/15/2009, 12:26 AM
Can you have seagrass & macro algae along w/ corals? I have LR & SSB and I like the plants, but I also want some corals. I've seen some macro algae that looks like a shrub or shaving brush - anyone have experience w/these?

ChadTheSpike
12/15/2009, 08:24 AM
Macro, including the shrub and shaving bush varieties are ok (these take up calcium, though, and it should be monitored and supplemented as needed). Just keep an eye on their growth, some (esp. caulerpa) can be pretty invasive and difficult to remove once they take hold.

The seagrasses are a little more difficult. They are true vascular plants and take more setup with the substrate, similar to the planted tanks fresh water folks use. Plus some seagrasses have symbiotic bacteria that is needed to survive and is not always (usually not) shipped with the plants as they usually washed and shipped bare root.

(as a side note the reason for bare rooting plants for shipment is that there are some state laws which prevent transfer of 'dirt' accross state lines for fear of transporting invasive species)