PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass For Plywood Tanks

BigandUgly
12/15/2009, 10:57 AM
Could I use fiberglass resin (the kind used for autobody repair) to seal the inside of a plywood tank? Would it leach chemicals into the water?

I know it might not be the "best" choice, but I have a lot available at a really cheap price. That might make it the best choice if it is reef safe.

Thanks for your input.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/15/2009, 10:59 AM
Can you give a brand and product name for the resin you're trying to use?

BigandUgly
12/15/2009, 11:25 AM
Can you give a brand and product name for the resin you're trying to use?

I don't know the actual manufacturer. It is very similiar to Bondo, but purchased in commercial quantities.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/15/2009, 11:59 AM
Bondo is just a heavily thickened polyester resin. Most people are using epoxy resin for fiberglass tanks. Not sure on the suitability of polyester, maybe someone else can comment.

Though I would imagine the thick viscosity would be a huge pain, and I'm not sure it's strong enough.

FWIW I'm building a plywood tank right now, and while the epoxy is probably the most expensive component, it's still very cheap. My 360g tank is going to cost a tiny fraction in materials of what a pro-built glass or acrylic tank the same size would cost.

dahenley
12/15/2009, 12:18 PM
here is a local reef club that people build a lot of Plywood tanks. (they even have a special section for ply tanks.)
you can post a question with them and see what they say.
its worth a try

http://fingerlakesreef.com/forum/index.php