PDA

View Full Version : Cool Coral

Grandreef 2
12/15/2009, 02:11 PM
I posted this in the soft coral section but I'm not getting anything.

"I just saw this cool looking coral on LA called the Octopus Ink Heteroxenia and I was woundering if I could keep it on a small piece of rock on my substrate that is not attached to my main live rock sculpter. I have 2 Korrilia powerheads above it and I have 2 10,000k 65w CF, and 2 Atinics 65w CF? (also there is a star polyp on the same rock that is kinda a pest)

Is this possible?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...20&pcatid=2920"

aquadonkey
12/15/2009, 02:47 PM
You may not have gotten any responses because your link doesn't work. I went to the LA site and checked it out - pretty cool looking coral!
Sorry I can't give you any advice.... I'm a newbie - just thought I'd comment about that link.

Chiefsurfer
12/15/2009, 02:49 PM
they call for moderate lighting. Chances are, that without this coral being at least a few inches from the top, Compacts will not be enough.

I have heard a lot of people have success with CF and some soft corals, but CF are usually not great for most corals.

thile123
12/15/2009, 03:07 PM
coral looks really nice. Might not do too well under CF lighting. Might be enough for it to live, but might have slow growth.

John Zillmer
12/15/2009, 04:17 PM
they call for moderate lighting. Chances are, that without this coral being at least a few inches from the top, Compacts will not be enough.

I have heard a lot of people have success with CF and some soft corals, but CF are usually not great for most corals.

Funny, compact florescents were state of the art, top of the line, great for most corals for a bunch of years before T5HOs and specialty halides became commonly available.

No Xeniid should require more light than GSPs, although it might prefer less flow than a GSP prefers.

bertoni
12/15/2009, 06:39 PM
I used PC lighting for a soft coral tank, and I liked the result. T5 are more energy efficient, though, because they work better with reflectors. It's also possible to put more watts over a given tank size, which adds even more to intensity, which can be very good for light-demanding organisms.

KarlBob
12/15/2009, 06:48 PM
Try it! If the heteroxenia doesn't seem happy on the bottom, build a small pile of live rock under it to lift it up a bit. Most spreading softies in low-to-moderate light seem primarily interested in spreading upwards, and don't take over adjacent rocks as quickly if they're below the softy's current rock.

bertoni
12/15/2009, 06:51 PM
Oops, I meant to post that that lighting should be fine for soft corals in a fairly small tank.