PDA

View Full Version : Quiet my overflow !!!!!

Whattup32526
12/15/2009, 05:52 PM
Heres a pic of my overflow/drain, on my prop system. Each side overflows to the middle chamber where it trickles down 6 3/4" drain pipes, everything was nice and quiet till i went from a mag 7 to a 1100gph pump now it gurgles very loud, what ideas might you guys have for me to quiet it down. I could always plug some of the drains and drill bigger holes a d run dursos but that would be a pain. Ideas please the gfs complaing. The tanks acyrlic btw

Metal Man 1221
12/15/2009, 07:00 PM
yes you have to much drain opening, if you have a PVC pipe running off of the drain, throw a valve on it and play with it untill you have it set to your liking

reefgems
12/15/2009, 07:07 PM
you think increasing the size of those 6 3/4" drain pipes to correlate with your increased pump size is a good solution?

at least your tank is acrylic and not glass

Whattup32526
12/15/2009, 10:56 PM
Yea, Im tempeted to just drain the tanks and plug some of the 3/4" holes and drill for 2 1" bulkheads, and install 2 dursos, itll be quiet then for sure. The tanks are only cycling at the moment so it shouldnt be a big deal

teesquare
12/16/2009, 07:00 AM
You may want to look up BeAnAnimal. He posted a thread - I think the title is "Safe and Silent Overflow" or "Silent and Safe Overflow" L-O-N-G thread.... But - he lays out the principle on the first page. Following pages are full of nay-sayers, and discussions, questions....And a lot of people that have tried it and love it. It combines the durso type with other sytles - it is a 3 stand pipe system.

I just finished setting up 250 gal display, with HIGH flow rates - and it is not only silent - but virtually impossible to overlow the tank! I tested it by shutting off the ball valve on the main drain - and it cannot overflow onto the floor.
Hope this helps,
T

Octoberfest
12/16/2009, 07:35 AM
From what I see in there and understand from what you're saying you're going to need to do one of two things in order to quiet it down:

1. Open the overflow to allow more water to drain

or

2. Put a ball-valve on the return and slow the return down

The gurgling sound is happening because your tank is having a hard time draining as fast as the pump is pushing the water back through the return. So you either need to speed up the rate at which it drains (1) or slow down the rate at which it returns (2). I’d personally try to speed up the drain because from what I’ve read slowing the return down can shorten the life of the pump (not sure how true that is).

Whattup32526
12/16/2009, 03:50 PM
Im just gunna drain it and drill it for one inch bulkheads and dursos