PDA

View Full Version : Finnex Thermal Shock Heaters

aqualab
12/15/2009, 06:08 PM
I'm trying to find some information about the Finnex brand thermal shock heaters. Does anybody own one of these? I need a 100W heater that will lie horizontally on the bottom of my sump. The water in the sump isn't deep enough for me to be able to use a vertical type heater (5" water level). I don't want to place a heater in the tank. My sump is only about 12" wide and is multi chambered so I need a heater that will fit that 12" dimension. Also need to take into consideration the additional room (inch or so) needed for the power cord where it comes out of the heating element. Any info/ideas are appreciated.

detroit_fan
12/15/2009, 06:58 PM
no experience with that heater but the jager heaters are pretty reliable and can be fully submerged. i have run 3 of them for a couple years trouble free.

HydroMan
12/15/2009, 07:10 PM
I would stay away from glass heaters. I have had good luck with the finnex titanium heaters. My 150w heater is only 8" from the tip of the heater to the base of the plug.

James77
12/15/2009, 08:39 PM
I've also had good luck with finnex heaters.

aqualab
12/16/2009, 08:35 AM
Are the thermal shock heaters glass? Does Finnex make a titanium in the 100 watt range without an attached controller? I have a Ranco controller in addition to a system controller and only need the heater element with reg plug. I can only find heaters without the attached controller in 300w and above range. The 300w would be serious overkill for my 20-gal tank and 20-gal sump, it would also be too long to fit horizontally in my sump.