PDA

View Full Version : added this guy the other day

Blownsvt
12/15/2009, 07:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/nmdolan11/aquarium/12-1.jpg

Really cool fish. So far he has been a model citizen. Hopefully he keeps it up.

tcmfish
12/15/2009, 09:01 PM
Looks like it is a reef... that trigger may take a liking to any clean up crew critters you have, but will probably leave coral alone. Good luck...

snorvich
12/15/2009, 09:02 PM
I agree with Tim.

Blownsvt
12/15/2009, 09:18 PM
yeah i am not worried about my coral at all. Just the snails that are in there. My butterflyfish already took care of the cleaner shrimp i put in a while back. As long as he doesn't start going after my snails it should be good. If he does the LFS said i could bring it back. So far he has not looked at a snail twice.

albano
12/15/2009, 09:27 PM
Had a small Huma in a 130g reef, within months, he ate all the shrimp and used the snails, practicing for a 'shot-put' event, that he was apparently training for. Gave him to a FOWLR friend.

Blownsvt
12/15/2009, 10:11 PM
thats why i made arrangements to bring him back if he becomes trouble. a frined of mine locally has had good luck with these in his tanks so i figured i would try it. Right now he is pretty small so i don't know that he could shot put the big snails in my tank yet but we will see.

Kahuna Tuna
12/15/2009, 10:34 PM
The most awesome fish I ever owned was a humu trigger back in the day. He would spit water, loved to be scratched, was hand fed and had a personality like a puppy. As cool as that fish was I've never owned another, they are usually very hard on invert clean up types unfortunately. Good luck and I hope you can pull it off, that fish is beautiful.

tcmfish
12/15/2009, 10:41 PM
I had a small 4 incher way back when, and he would take out huge turbo snails about half his size. Like I said earlier "good luck" or you could just save yourself the hassle bring it back and research new purchases from now on...

Blownsvt
12/15/2009, 11:06 PM
I had a small 4 incher way back when, and he would take out huge turbo snails about half his size. Like I said earlier "good luck" or you could just save yourself the hassle bring it back and research new purchases from now on...

i research every fish purchase i make. I knew exactly what the risks were when i got this fella. Some people have good success and others don't. I would rather try to keep a fish that i really like and have it eat a few cheap snails finding out that i can't have it than never even try just becuase someone says I can't and miss out on keeping a truely awesome fish in the process.

Perfect example. How many people want to keep butterfly fish in their reef but have never tried it just because a book said that you can't do it? Well guess what I have both SPS and LPS in a tank with a butterfly that is deemed not reef safe and he doesn't really bother any of them. This trigger could turn out to be the same way. if not arrangements are already made for him to go back.

tcmfish
12/15/2009, 11:14 PM
See I would be one of those people telling you to keep angels and butterflies with reefs, but a trigger with inverts, that is a different story.

Blownsvt
12/16/2009, 09:01 AM
See I would be one of those people telling you to keep angels and butterflies with reefs, but a trigger with inverts, that is a different story.

the only inverts are snails, i don't have any shrimp or crabs etc. Well i tried shrimp but as i said i think the butterfly ate them. I actually talked to sme people who had triggers in with shrimps and he never bothered them. So anything is possible. If he gets nasty he goes back to the store and i get to get something else. Seems like a win/win to me. Either i get to enjoy this awesome fish or i get to go back and get something else.

tcmfish
12/16/2009, 10:49 AM
yeah i am not worried about my coral at all. Just the snails that are in there.

Ok, I don't want to argue about it, but you were worried about your snails and I was just trying to warn you.

Blownsvt
12/16/2009, 12:32 PM
Ok, I don't want to argue about it, but you were worried about your snails and I was just trying to warn you.

I hear ya. Just don't want people thinking I blindly threw a fish into a tank without knowing what the risks were. I contemplated getting this guy for a good while before finally going for it.

homeagain
12/16/2009, 03:27 PM
my humma likes corals and small fish but did gets along with my yellow tang and foxface until I put them in my large tank

stunreefer
12/16/2009, 06:07 PM
Keep the fish and take the snails back :D

Low nutrients keeps algae at bay and you'll have no need for snails anyways ;)

Blownsvt
12/16/2009, 06:16 PM
Keep the fish and take the snails back :D

Low nutrients keeps algae at bay and you'll have no need for snails anyways ;)

if i get to a point where i don't need them i would love to not have them. They make the darn glass messy so i have to clean it every afternoon.