PDA

View Full Version : Can I run T5's on an ARO 4LX ballast?

serpentman
12/16/2009, 11:01 AM
I am planning on switching some of my VHO's over to T5's. I have an extra ARO 4LX ballast and am wondering if that will work. I checked out Hellolights which has the following in their FAQ. Their recommendation is not to use this ballast with T5's. I am assuming this is because it will overdrive the bulbs. Anyone have any first hand experience doing this?

Q. Can I run T5 bulbs on the ARO Model 4LX ballast?
A. Simple answer: Yes, the ARO VHO ballast will "fire" T5 lamps. However, T5 lamps are high performance lamps and requires strict operating conditions for lamp performance and reliability.
Starting: Proper starting and operation is crucial for lamp life and performance. One important parameter is starting - the lamp is designed to be started using a program start - this is an accurate sophisticated controlled starting with proper filament heating with precise amount of time before ignition voltage is applied to the lamp.
Operating Current: Lamp operating current must also be controlled to tight specifications for performance and reliability.
We do not recommend the use of ARO VHO ballast to be used with the T5 lamps. Yes, it will fire the lamp as with many other ballasts but this does not mean that the lamps are operating to manufacturers specifications. Many ballast manufacturers claim that their ballast "works" with T5 when in fact a dedicated ballast specifically designed is a must, particularly for the T5 lamps!