PDA

View Full Version : Zeovit Algae

marreef
12/16/2009, 08:31 PM
well hey guys im going crazy and ive seen a lot of threads about algae and different theories so i decided to start my own, but i also just recently started up my 55g sps reef and ive been having a lot of hair algae and red algae growing all over the rocks and for some reason i figured it would go away with time but its not its just getting worse my water parameters are perfect and i do dose zeovit products but this algae problem is starting get out of control.

cal 420
mag 1350
alk 8dkh
phosphate undetectable
nitrate undetectable
salt 1.024

i don't know what seems to be the problem but maybe you guys can help me out, i also dose daily zeostart2 . 25ml,cv 2 drops,sp 2 drops,aa 2 drops,coral snow 2ml at night,zeofood7 2 drops twice a week,pohls 2ml daily im just a little frustrated please help and point me in the right direction thanks guys :sad1:

29reef
12/16/2009, 08:55 PM
How do you test phosphates? Some chemical tests are flawed.
I think you might try raising your alk, slowly to around 10 and maybe add a few more critters to your tank. I try and keep my salinity at 1.025.

plyle02
12/16/2009, 09:20 PM
I would highly recommend not raising alk to that suggested level running zeovit, this will cause major issues with SPS corals... GL

minhvu
12/16/2009, 09:20 PM
I would definitely cut out the AA and the xtra for a while. I run a 150gal and only dose 2ml of xtra and 6 drops of AA per week.

29reef
12/16/2009, 09:54 PM
I would highly recommend not raising alk to that suggested level running zeovit, this will cause major issues with SPS corals... GL

From his post I didn't think he was using the full zeovit system; just the additives. If this isn't the case; then yes raising alk is a BAD idea.

Cybernobbie
12/17/2009, 12:18 AM
I would definitely cut out the AA and the xtra for a while. I run a 150gal and only dose 2ml of xtra and 6 drops of AA per week.

+1

I would stop dosing Zeofood7 too, because it also includes AA.

bogg
12/17/2009, 12:27 AM
If your newly into zeovit in a previous established reef you could be bringing out laden nutrients. Just add more of a cleanup crew and stay the course if it's really bothering you manually remove as much as you can and use filter socks and change them daily. I would just stick with the first 4 until everything is really clean then later on you can add more aa's and the xtra etc. Do you have pics of this green and red algae?. The coral snow and zeozyme really works along with more bac you should kick its a sooner!.

coralmojo
12/17/2009, 12:51 AM
Stop zeofood, zeostart and aa...
Continue zeobac...
Keep up water changes...
Clean filter socks daily...
Increase flow within tank...
Blow off rocks twice weekly...
Cut light cycle down...
Three day total darkness cycle...
Cut fish feeding in half...
Change bulbs if over 6 months old...
use zero TDS RO-DI water...
clean and/or upgrade skimmer...

just a few areas to look at...

DrMerle

plyle02
12/17/2009, 01:13 AM
From his post I didn't think he was using the full zeovit system; just the additives. If this isn't the case; then yes raising alk is a BAD idea.

I get you,
I would still not run with a high kh if running any type of ULNS, many systems of ULNS advise to run NSW values. The reason for the post was the fact of using zeostart2, which is there carbon source. This made me think of the adverse effects of running higher than NSW values for kh. I hope I did not offend, not my intent.
GL

marreef
12/17/2009, 08:52 AM
guys thanks for the heads up i will stop with zeostart2,zeofood,pohls and aa for now and my alk has always been between 7 and 8 dkh and i've never had a problem with any tissue loss and i plan on leaving it there unless i have to but i will watch it closely to make sure nothing happens,hopefully doing this and doing my normal water changes it will work, im sure a lot of you guys know how much it sucks to have algae growing in your tank like crazy. i have also been told that by dosing vodka it will help kill off the algae?

marreef
12/31/2009, 07:48 AM
well guys after trying mb7 for two weeks now my hair algea is gone yippy :lolspin: but i still have red algae growing everywhere i hate it please help with what you guys think i should do

sedor
12/31/2009, 08:02 AM
This is a matter of personal taste, but vodka can do everything (and IMO more effectively) than all those zeovit additives and for a fraction of the price. Its something you might want to consider.

dieselgrk
12/31/2009, 08:22 AM
zeovit has a HUGE learning curve as every tank responds different to every zeovit product. in order to fine tune the zeovit system to your tanks needs it literally takes a year if not longer. with zeovit you need to take on a different mentality/approach to reef keeping. you need to learn to 'read your tank' and understand that less is more and patients, patients, patients..... when i say 'read your tank' i mean start one zeovit product at a time at 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended amount. over the process of a week or two observe your tank: algae increase, decrease, or stay the same? is coral color better, worse, or same? then make small adjustments up or down depending on what you observe. once you have that product dialed in continue with the next product in the same manner and 'read you tank'.

i have had the same problem you're currently experiencing and for me it was a result of too much carbon source. i decreased the zeostart2 and discontinued the zeofood7 and algae disappeared within 3 weeks.

mark728
12/31/2009, 09:45 AM
Hi guys ,so far 3 of my friends had algae problems 2 of them because of Zeovit after trying some different things one of my friends was told to try this stuff "Microbe-Lift Special Blend bacteria Supplement 16oz " for his algae problems and after 1 week it looked like a new tank no algae at all ,and then my other friends tried it with great results you can buy it at marine depot, I guess its a different bacteria strain,and now my 2 friends that have Zeovit tanks they dose 1/2 zeovit bacteria and 1/2 Microbe -lift with great results .