PDA

View Full Version : 24g Nano cube little help with DIY lights

Bonfils
12/17/2009, 12:52 AM
sorry if this is in the wrong place

I bought a 24g Nanocube at thrift store for $25. It has the hood with fans and 2 lights that have 4pins each 36 watt and 2 little LED Im asuming night lights.

It has 2 cords that come out the back and end in some odd pins. Im assuming I need to some kind of ballast for the lights and have read some of the CFL ballast DIY stuff. But how do I power the fans and LEDs. and is there any way I can keep the cords? or do I just cut and rewire. Even if I burn the hole thing to the ground Im out $25 bucks but Id like to fix it up for my wife.

label on the back says 2005/11 not sure if thats important any help would be much apreciated.

BigandUgly
12/17/2009, 09:21 AM
The 24g Nanocube had two different ballasts. The early model had a push in connection, the newer model is a screw on. It sounds like you have the older push in style.

I know that nanotuners carries the new style ballast for about $90. Not sure of anyone carrying the old style. It may be easier and cheaper to do a DIY ballast and replace the connectors.

Bonfils
12/17/2009, 10:20 AM
how do I wire the LEDs and the cooling fans thow? are they 12volt with a inverter?

lil_O_JJ
12/18/2009, 11:09 AM
Your going to need to check out the manf. website for the information on the source requirement. It may even say somewhere on the unit its self. You may be able to get away with cuting a cord at your house if you find one that has the right converter. Otherwise we are talking transformer and rectifier to make a custom job.

Bonfils
12/18/2009, 07:22 PM
the fans are 12v I took a power inverter from an old router I had and hooked it all up been runing for 6 hours now no problem now to tackle the lights

Bonfils
12/19/2009, 12:36 AM
ok bear with me and tell me if Im nuts cause its quite possible. I was at the store today and seen white LED Xmas lights. my question is can I drill the refelctive metal shield and mount the LED lights in there or is the light out put to low? the LEDs looked well sealed and the plastic cover should keep out moisture. so only thing Im wondering is about light out put.