PDA

View Full Version : Lights for 180 Gallon upgrade (even the wife agrees)

sandstorm1221
12/17/2009, 06:35 AM
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted as I had to get out of the hobby for a while due to budgetary concerns and general life. I started a few years back with a 46 gallon bow with moderate success. Since then I have purchased a home, got married and all that good stuff, even got the two dogs. I recently told my wife that I am interested in getting back into the hobby but if I do I'm going big or going home. I believe I have sold her on a 180 gallon tank.:rollface:

I have narrowed my search for t-5 lighting between ATI 6x80w 60" and either the 6x80w 60" Tek or 8x80w 60" Tek after doing much research. I was going to go with the Nova Extreme Pro especialy since I could get it 30% off, though replacing 12 bulbs wouldn't help me at all money wise over time.

I am looking at keeping a mixed reef, mostly sps and softies. Judging from my research 6x80w should be fine, or even 8x80w. Which brand and am I in the ball park?

Thanks alot,

Jim

insane
12/17/2009, 06:52 AM
What are the dimensions of the tank you are looking at?

Toadally
12/17/2009, 07:00 AM
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted as I had to get out of the hobby for a while due to budgetary concerns and general life. I started a few years back with a 46 gallon bow with moderate success. Since then I have purchased a home, got married and all that good stuff, even got the two dogs. I recently told my wife that I am interested in getting back into the hobby but if I do I'm going big or going home. I believe I have sold her on a 180 gallon tank.:rollface:

I have narrowed my search for t-5 lighting between ATI 6x80w 60" and either the 6x80w 60" Tek or 8x80w 60" Tek after doing much research. I was going to go with the Nova Extreme Pro especialy since I could get it 30% off, though replacing 12 bulbs wouldn't help me at all money wise over time.

I am looking at keeping a mixed reef, mostly sps and softies. Judging from my research 6x80w should be fine, or even 8x80w. Which brand and am I in the ball park?

Thanks alot,

Jim
Post over on the T5 Q&A thread. The Grim Reefer is very knowledgeable about T5 lighting.