PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer downtime?

ScooterGuitar
12/17/2009, 03:21 PM
I've been revamping and getting tank looking great again.
I have been pulling lots of gunk with my OLD ASM G2, replaced the body with an ER CS 6-2, it was doing great as well the past week or so. I keep up on maitence eveyr few days, cleaning cup, pump once a week...Yesterday the skimmer has started producing much less skimate than it has been, I took and cleaned the pump (not vinegar) venturi cleaned, airline, and inside of the impeller housing....24 hours later still very little skimmate and my riser is as far up as it can go.

As I said, been doing lots of cleaning to my system, could it be that my tank is simply having some downtime and there isn't much for it to be pulling now?

sohal1025
12/17/2009, 03:52 PM
I had that problem time to time with my G-2 and changed the riser tube with a longer pvc pipe of the same diameter. Just cut it a bit longer.

ScooterGuitar
12/17/2009, 04:17 PM
With this new to me (but really outdated model) EuroReef, it has an indented rubber gasket...hmm, any ideas how to extend this one or modify a piece of pvc perhaps?

ScooterGuitar
12/18/2009, 02:32 PM
Well, seems to be skimming well again.
Perhaps it operates better with alittle crud in the neck opposed to being super clean?

ScooterGuitar
12/20/2009, 09:24 AM
Dang, doing it again. I have to figure out how to extend the darn riser tube. Myabe replace the lower pvc piece that the actual riser tube goes into might work?

cnaegler
12/20/2009, 10:11 AM
They do seem to skim a little better with gunk in the neck. Sometimes they just go through small phases where they don't skim or the head collapses. Could be your hands in the tank or something you've fed. It sometimes takes a while to start skimming again. Mine'll do the same thing occasionally.