PDA

View Full Version : My Light Keeps Going out.

wuzup3
12/17/2009, 08:21 PM
I currently have a 29 nano with a MH bulb. For some reason though my light will periodically shut off in the hood but not at the ballast. It stays off for about 10 mins then turns back on. I was wondering if this is just an overheat safety mechanism or an electrical problem somewhere in the hood or just a bulb going bad? I have had the tank for 2 yrs and this is the first time it has happened. Thanks

sheac12
12/17/2009, 08:57 PM
I currently have a 29 nano with a MH bulb. For some reason though my light will periodically shut off in the hood but not at the ballast. It stays off for about 10 mins then turns back on. I was wondering if this is just an overheat safety mechanism or an electrical problem somewhere in the hood or just a bulb going bad? I have had the tank for 2 yrs and this is the first time it has happened. Thanks

Sounds like either the bulb is overheating (do you have a fan, is it still running?)

When you say "my light will periodically shut off in the hood but not at the ballast" what exactly does this mean? Have you taken a multimeter to the contacts to check for voltage? If so was it within spec limits?

kdc527
12/17/2009, 09:05 PM
Sometimes as MH bulbs go bad they cycle on and off. If you have had the bulb fo 2yrs it is probably time to change the bulb anyway. MH bulbs are really only good for about a year.

sheac12
12/17/2009, 09:26 PM
Sometimes as MH bulbs go bad they cycle on and off. If you have had the bulb fo 2yrs it is probably time to change the bulb anyway. MH bulbs are really only good for about a year.

I completely blanked on the fact it was 2 years old.... kdc527 is correct.

wuzup3
12/17/2009, 09:44 PM
Bulb is approx 8 mos old but I will get a new one and hope that works. Thanks