PDA

View Full Version : Help!! just dumped 2 liters of calcium into the tank.

fernandokng
12/17/2009, 08:49 PM
Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just dumped two liters of calcium into the tank (2 part)- forgot to shut something off. The whole tank is white.

Alk is at 15! i'm isn't it supposed to be the other way around? alk supposed to drop?

I'm preparing water to make the water change. I think this tank is done. anything else I need to do ?

Should I dump the 2 liter of alk into the tank to try to balance it out?

HighlandReefer
12/17/2009, 08:52 PM
Read Randy's article before taking any further steps, "What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium?":

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2...hf/index.php#11

From Randy's Article:

"The following important points should help in dealing with a limewater overdose:

1. Don't panic! These overdoses do not usually cause a tank to crash.

2. The primary concern is pH. If the pH is 8.6 or lower, you need not do anything. If the pH is above 8.6, then reducing the pH is the priority. Direct addition of vinegar or soda water is a good way to accomplish this goal. Either one mL of distilled white vinegar, or six mL of soda water, per gallon of tank water will give an initial pH drop of about 0.3 pH units. Add either to a high flow area that is away from organisms (e.g., a sump).

3. Do not bother to measure calcium or alkalinity while the tank is cloudy. The solid calcium carbonate particles will dissolve in an alkalinity test, and all of the carbonate in them will be counted as if it were in solution and part of "alkalinity." The same may happen to some extent with calcium tests. Wait until the water clears, and at that point, alkalinity is more likely to be low than high. Calcium will likely be mostly unchanged.

4. The particles themselves will typically settle out and disappear from view over a period of 1-4 days. They do not appear to cause long term detrimental effects to tank organisms.

5. Water changes are not necessarily beneficial or needed in response to a limewater overdose."

Jay Fortay
12/17/2009, 08:52 PM
Good question. Dumping the alk in the tank may make the calcium precipitate out of solution, and clear your water, but with your alk already that high you would be in really big trouble if you did that. Big water change, fast. What is your calcium level reading?

Jay Fortay
12/17/2009, 08:54 PM
I seem to stand pre-corrected on the water change...

fernandokng
12/17/2009, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't my alk just drop because the calcium is taking it up?

Sk8r
12/17/2009, 08:57 PM
I would add: watch your pump and pipes. You may need to do a general cleaning including the hoses before your system gets a bad case of hardening of the arteries and pump stoppage. (Calcium carbonate precipitation.) Not part of the emergency: you've got enough on your hands; but be advised and watch for it.

I second: don't panic. I've whitened my tank a couple of times, never lost a specimen; but I did have a heckuva precip problem. Use vinegar slowly, every half hour or so, testing often. Remember the system will start adjusting itself and you need to be careful not to over-adjust and dive into the opposite problem.

HighlandReefer
12/17/2009, 08:59 PM
After you snow storm is over (calcium carbonate precipitation), you will likely end up with a lower alk. level. Your calcium level will rise.
The biggest concern now is your pH. What kind of alk. supplement did you overdose?

fernandokng
12/17/2009, 09:00 PM
PH is at 8.14 (via probe).

I overdose on the calcium, not the alk.

Btw, link does not work. thanks for all the help guys.

stanlalee
12/17/2009, 09:01 PM
Wouldn't my alk just drop because the calcium is taking it up?

from what was posted in the article the high alk is likely a false reading caused my the precipitate. until it clears you wont be able to get an accurate alk or calcium reading. sounds like you need to just wait it out to clear, then test and adjust accordingly.

fernandokng
12/17/2009, 09:02 PM
Sucks that I am going on vacation tomorrow, so this is not helping. Murphy's law at it's best.

HighlandReefer
12/17/2009, 09:02 PM
Just let the precipitation settle out and clean it up by siphoning. Running a filter sock will help also. :)

HighlandReefer
12/17/2009, 09:03 PM
FWIW, it could have been a lot worse if you overdosed kalk or a high pH supplement. ;)

fernandokng
12/17/2009, 09:21 PM
Yes, you're right, if the whole alk dumped in, I wouldn't know what to do.

HighlandReefer
12/17/2009, 09:28 PM
The correct link is:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php

fernandokng
12/17/2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks, I will also do some water changes, just to make myself feel better since I will be away for a few days.

HighlandReefer
12/17/2009, 09:50 PM
Your welcome. :)

It never hurts to do proper water changes.

fernandokng
12/17/2009, 10:48 PM
i think the filter socks did wonders, because the water is a lot clearer. My ph is sitting around 7.97. So the fluctuation was ridiculous, from 8.3 to 8.7 now down to 7.97. I hope my fish make it through that.

I'm dosing vodka +mb7, and I notice that I see a lot of white strands. Perhaps due to the precipitation of the calcium, and it's making the bacteria more visible? But I really want to see if this effects anything. I was dealing with some cyano, but I don't seem them anymore, seems like it just wiped away in the few hours? Not sure if that made any sense at all...

HighlandReefer
12/17/2009, 11:14 PM
Good to hear your tank is clearing up. I would not worry unless your pH drops below 7.8. Natural reefs fluctate in many cases from 7.8 - 8.5 over the course of a day. From what I have read, pH fluctuations between 7.8-8.5 should not cause problems for you. ;)

fernandokng
12/18/2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks again everyone.

asl4me76
12/18/2009, 12:26 AM
Take a deep breath and breathe ...

Things will be ok. I would definitely read the previous article that was posted and not fret to much. As they mentioned pH is the biggest concern here. Make sure to watch it.

fernandokng
12/22/2009, 09:41 PM
Ok, you won't beilieve this. Back from vacation, everything seem to have establized. I was just doing maintenance, and now i dumped 1 liter of alk into the tank! now it's back to being cloudy, and I heard overdosing alk is worst.

do I follow the same instructions as per above?

PaxRoma
12/22/2009, 11:55 PM
I dont mean to laugh at your misfortune, but this is ...twice in a row?... (giggle in the back) can't ...hold laugh ...much longer.... :blown:
I am sorry..

It will be ok, but check your calcium level, which most likely be low after an alk overdose
Do you have any SPS?

fernandokng
12/23/2009, 12:37 AM
Yes, twice in a row. It seems as the more I do maintenance, the more trouble I get into!

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/23/2009, 09:25 AM
Check pH in an alk overdose. That's the only thing to worry about right now. If it is below pH 8.6, don't worry. :)