PDA

View Full Version : Brightwell Mag Powder Supplement

DeepReefExotics
12/18/2009, 11:21 AM
I can get this at a pretty good price locally but since i see that the DIY mag supplement is a 2 part mix I just wanted to know if this product is any good.

Especially after what I have been reading about brightwell products i have become a little skeptical of the claims on the packaging.

HighlandReefer
12/18/2009, 11:38 AM
Their description of this product:

"Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion Powder Reef Supplement
Other Brightwell Aquatics Products

Magnesion-P by Brightwell Aquatics is purified powder magnesium that provides this essential element to your marine aquarium’s invertebrates. Magnesium is required to regulate the balance between calcium and carbonate when forming aragonite. Stronger and more economical than liquid supplements, Magnesion-P is formulated by marine scientists and contains 43% magnesium by dry weight.

Basic: Dissolve 2.5 grams of product per 20 gallons of aquarium water in 8-fl. oz. of fresh water; add every other day or as needed to maintain the magnesium concentration within a range of 1,290 - 1,320 ppm. When used in this fashion, 1,200 g treats up to 9,600 gallons (36,340 L)."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately this does not provide what is in this product. It may be ionically balanced per Randy's Articles for some situations, but Randy has basically two formulas depending on what you use to supplement calcium with. ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/18/2009, 12:10 PM
Another issue from from Chris Brightwell. :(

43% magnesium by dry weight? I don't think so :(

Hopefully it is just a typo, but it is repeated in the 430,000 ppm comment.

Pure anhydrous magnesium chloride is 25.53% magnesium by weight.

Pure anhydrous magnesium sulfate is 20.19% magnesium.

He says the product contains just these two, and ends up 43% by weight magnesium. :lol:

That said, the product is likely OK, but I have little confidence that he has them at a proper ratio if this simple math gets done wrong.

There is NO PRODUCT that is 43% by weight magnesium that I'd dose to boost magnesium.

DeepReefExotics
12/18/2009, 12:25 PM
I figured :(

I havr BRS 2 part mag supplement but it was in my shed and got wet from the humidity in florida. woukd this still be okay to use?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/18/2009, 12:27 PM
Getting it wet will not hurt it, aside from possibly solidifying it into a solid block when it dries.

Boomer
12/18/2009, 01:02 PM
Looks like he has confused yet another product, this time with Magnesium Hydroxide, which is ~ 43 % :lol:

Hey, Randy, maybe on another note he knows the exact comp of his two sup's, which are not 100 % pure and added them up i.e. 24 (not 25.53) + 19 ( not 19.19) = 43 :D

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/18/2009, 01:47 PM
You know, I was also thinking he added them. :lol:

Maybe throw in a couple more and he can claim 100%. :D

Orr2003
12/18/2009, 02:10 PM
I wonder who are the "Marine Scientists" that formulated this stuff?

DeepReefExotics
12/18/2009, 03:11 PM
Well looks like ill be busting out the hammer to try and break up my brs mag. I am having serious doubts in alot of the brightwell additives that i see and some that i am actually guilty of buying.

DeepReefExotics
12/18/2009, 03:12 PM
Also since i use a combination of both Kalk and 2 part for my calcium/alk needs which one of randys formulas should i be using?

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/18/2009, 03:18 PM
It is Chris Brightwell himself, presumably. We used to debate him here is his previous job with Kent. He is not a chemist.

Here I debate Kent Liquid Reactor with him:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402681

Orr2003
12/18/2009, 07:22 PM
Looks like he has confused yet another product, this time with Magnesium Hydroxide, which is ~ 43 % :lol:

isn't that milk of magnesia? :lol:

my tank isn't constipated or is it:sad2:

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/19/2009, 08:01 AM
Yes, it is. You'd definitely not want to boost magnesium with magnesium oxide or hydroxide as it will raise alkalinity (and pH) by a huge factor.