PDA

View Full Version : 4FT long 35G Mixed reef

keegoaz
12/18/2009, 04:58 PM
Ok well decided i was not vary happy with my Solana and wanted to go with something longer so when i saw a 35g extra long at the LFS i couldn't resist. Not a whole lot in it right now.

Im trying to figure out some type of small schooling fish i can add to this tank i think it would look amazing with a little group going back and forth across it.

Ok here are some pictures, Stand is unfinished i just built it yesterday.

Let me know what you think

ScarletReef
12/18/2009, 11:20 PM
LOVE the measurements on this tank, I almost did one myself. I would suggest a small school of cardinals; PJ, threadfin, or my favorite; orange lined. Best of luck! :)

keegoaz
12/19/2009, 12:07 AM
LOVE the measurements on this tank, I almost did one myself. I would suggest a small school of cardinals; PJ, threadfin, or my favorite; orange lined. Best of luck! :)
Thanks,
The dimensions are the reason i got this tank! love that its still a nano but it gives the effect of a larger tank. Im probably going to go with cardinals im just gonna do a little bit more research to see what type.

keegoaz
12/29/2009, 02:53 PM
Ok updates pics and new light!

Just purchased a Current Outer Orbit 2-150wMH and 4 54w T5HO Actinic with moonlights

And i was thinking about adding more LR until i re-scaped my tank and im loving it now! Im planning on leaving it the way it is it helps a lot with flow.

philosophish
12/29/2009, 03:27 PM
@ keeg,

Try and point the pumps towards the opposite ends and not towards each other. See how you like the flow.

With the pumps this way it creates a gyre, the flow will be stronger but stay smooth since it isnt being disrupted. This type of flow tends to reduce the amount of dead spots, especially in the corners.

If you dont want to point them at the opposite sides, try placing them centered on the ends, with one high and one low. Same style of circular flow, but with the opposing currents riding on top of each other instead of the sides. Will be a bit more chaotic since the tank is shallow.

Do a search on gyre and youll get a better idea of what I mean.

keegoaz
12/29/2009, 04:12 PM
@ keeg,

Try and point the pumps towards the opposite ends and not towards each other. See how you like the flow.

With the pumps this way it creates a gyre, the flow will be stronger but stay smooth since it isnt being disrupted. This type of flow tends to reduce the amount of dead spots, especially in the corners.

If you dont want to point them at the opposite sides, try placing them centered on the ends, with one high and one low. Same style of circular flow, but with the opposing currents riding on top of each other instead of the sides. Will be a bit more chaotic since the tank is shallow.

Do a search on gyre and youll get a better idea of what I mean.

I have tried this and was not a fan. Flow in the tank was too smooth with all the flow going in one direction. The problem i have with this is since you do not have alternating or Turbulent currents in the tank corals with tend to grow more on whatever side has the better current. If one side of these corals would not receive any current it would start to show it (less polyps and sometimes deterioration of tissue). So with how the pumps are placed now and the setting of the rock the flow from each side forces an alternating pattern corals receive flow from each direction its more like a reef crest would act. Water almost never just flows in one direction on a reef their is always a pumping motion formed by waves and tides. The pump layout i have was the closest i could get to replicating this without getting a wave maker in the tank, although i think an mp10 would be a great addition. :D

the black pump head you can see on the right is one of to that comes out of that filter the other end is going along the wall towards the K3. The reason i have that going towards the other pump is to just make it a little more turbulent it really gives a great motion to the softies in that corner of the tank.

dynastykid
12/29/2009, 04:27 PM
That really is a cool dimension for a tank. Nice light too!

philosophish
12/29/2009, 10:12 PM
@keeg,

I agree with you. A controllable pump, tunze or vortech, really does wonders with this set up as you get the best flow combination.

wickedfood
12/30/2009, 02:29 PM
I'm looking to set up a long nano tank myself. Are you running your's sumpless? Skimming??

Neon gobies would be a nice school fish in a tank like this.

keegoaz
12/30/2009, 02:39 PM
Wickedfood-
Right now there is no sump or protein skimmer i do have an internal filter over on the right side (black box) that skims the surface to get rid of the film. I do plan on adding an overflow in the near feature thou and adding a sump.

wickedfood
12/30/2009, 04:09 PM
Do you always keep the tank covered? I'd think the condensation would deter the lighting.

Smith62
12/30/2009, 10:40 PM
I love long shallow tanks and I like where yours is going. Your aquascaping is pretty deadly too. Im gunna tag along.

keegoaz
12/31/2009, 12:50 PM
Do you always keep the tank covered? I'd think the condensation would deter the lighting.

Yes i Do keep it covered all the time im not home a lot now and i dont have an ATO so this is my best option. The only time their is condensation on the glass is in the morning when lights come on after the glass get to a certain temp their is no more condensation. And the temperature in the tank is fairly stable right around 80(+-2degrees depending on what time of the day or night).

I love long shallow tanks and I like where yours is going. Your aquascaping is pretty deadly too. Im gunna tag along.

Thanks!

Majority_Rules
01/01/2010, 03:30 PM
I like it. What exactly are the dimensions of the tank?

keegoaz
01/01/2010, 06:51 PM
4'L 12"w 12"h