PDA

View Full Version : algae on zoa's

lnbski3
12/18/2009, 10:37 PM
i have several groups of zoas and 2 groups have a green slime over them and they wont open up. i have tried to scrape off with a tooth brush and my fingernails but they still will not open up. Frags of the same colony are open and look healthy. any ideas?

prNonVTEC4u
12/19/2009, 02:54 PM
take off all possible manually. once that done, give them an extra day or two and if they're originally healthy enough, they'll open back up on they're own. UNLESS there's more than just slime as the problem. ie. bugs etc.

lnbski3
12/19/2009, 04:34 PM
i have dipped them twice now in lugols so i know there is no bug problem - i'll try to get more off manually. thanks for the help. is there a dip that will help with the removal?

sedor
12/19/2009, 04:51 PM
The green slime is throwing me off, but when I fought dinoflagelles they would appear like a slime over my zoas and other coral. Even after manual removal they didn't open back up until I left my tank lights off for 3 days and killed off the dinos.

lnbski3
12/19/2009, 06:04 PM
here is a pic of the green algae -
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu183/lnbski3/DSC07019.jpg

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu183/lnbski3/DSC07018.jpg

Names Brucey
12/20/2009, 01:50 PM
I am fighting the same problem but I am losing the battle. I have lost two colonies so far. I can not find anything in the tank either that is attacking them. The algea that is present does not come off at all.

lnbski3
12/20/2009, 11:22 PM
well here goes nothing i just dumped the group on the pic into the sump with no light - going to wait a few days and put them back.....stay tuned

StillerNat
12/20/2009, 11:36 PM
i got the same problem with some type of hair algae that was growing on the polyps themelves. i took tweasers and pulled what i could off, left the lights off and for some that were really bad, i actually re-fragged them and put them on clean plugs. i had some sort of red slime on a colony of 40+ zoas and i got like 8 heads left. i just started a thread about it tonight with pics.

Jsingh
12/21/2009, 06:28 PM
Putting them in a high flow area might help get them open, It has worked for me before when the same thing happenend. I have also put cerith snails on top of them to see if they would eat the algae off, if they actually did I am not sure but I still have the zoas open and healthy lol.