PDA

View Full Version : where to buy pump

toneytigger4
12/19/2009, 06:32 AM
where I work we have accounts with Grainger and Mcmaster-Carr I used to run a little giant mag pump think it was a 4-md-sc after lookin at Graingers site are there any other pumps you guys would suggest from them the reason im considering them again is because I have a 400.00 tool allowance coming jan 1st :hammer: or should I buy a pump specifically taylored to the hobby from one of the local lfs

Lightsluvr
12/19/2009, 07:10 AM
Good question. A lot of utility pumps from those sites will be noisy and generate alot of heat. Check the current load to check efficiency of operation. Little Giant Pump Company is located right here in Oklahoma, but I don't care for them in my aquariums. Outside in a swimming pool or something like that would be fine.

That being said, I think that McMaster sells Eheim pumps buried on their submersible salt water pump page 312. They don't name the brand in the catalog, but I recognized the pump. By the way, the Eheim pump that is $169 at Marine Depot is $199 at McMaster.

As I recall, just about all Graingers sells is Dayton brand pumps, and I have never seen one of those used in an aquarium...maybe in a public aquarium?

I would stick with reputable online sellers like MD, Drs Foster & Smith and the several other sponsors you will find here on Reef Central.

JMO.

LL

toneytigger4
12/19/2009, 10:02 AM
thanks lightsluvr for some input I will check the eheim pumps out I think we get a 20% discount with mcmaster I will check to be sure trying to get the best bang for the buck and ur right on with the little giant being abit noisy