PDA

View Full Version : Overflow: Tank Drainage Issues

wardworld
12/19/2009, 07:55 AM
Looking for some help/ideas:
1. I have a glasscages 180 with two of the "glass box" overflows.
2. After growing weary of creatures jumping in the overflows, I purchased two of the black acrylic overflow covers sold by glasscages and plopped them down around the glass boxes.
3.Here's the issue: periodically, it seems as if the left overflow begins to drain more slowly than the right - I can tell this because the water level changes to where it begins to touch the left glass brace running from back to front on the tank.

I'm not sure what to do (right now what I do is dial down the return flow in the tank - it's on a ball valve). Could/Should I try and "enlarge" the teeth in the acrylic??? Other thoughts/ideas?????

zorden
12/19/2009, 08:40 AM
Is the tank placed on even ground. Maybe the floor is slanted, well this happen to my house, the floor is not totally flat and thus some levelling is needed for the h20 to be equally distributed to the 2 overflow boxes.

wardworld
12/19/2009, 08:52 AM
It was level in February when I set it up...not sure why it would go out of level, but I guess I should check that as it doesn't seem to happen to the other side of the tank (the right overflow)...

wardworld
12/19/2009, 09:16 AM
Another question:
If my filter socks get too clogged, could that affect the pressure/drainage?
My sump is a 100 gal rubbermaid that's outside in a fish room...the two overflows come down under the tank, join and make a T and then exit through the wall. Outside the drain hose goes around the edge of the rubbermaid and then up over the edge to drain into the filter socks...I can post a pic if necessary

cnaegler
12/19/2009, 10:10 AM
Another question:
If my filter socks get too clogged, could that affect the pressure/drainage?
My sump is a 100 gal rubbermaid that's outside in a fish room...the two overflows come down under the tank, join and make a T and then exit through the wall. Outside the drain hose goes around the edge of the rubbermaid and then up over the edge to drain into the filter socks...I can post a pic if necessary

IME, when my filter socks begin to clog up, it tends to slow my drains down just a tad. I can tell because when i change them out for clean ones, the level in my overflow changes slightly. Also, maybe the two drains into one at the T is causing a little "backup" of water and causing one drain to be more effective than the other. Don't quote me on that, that's just me trying to troubleshoot your problem. HTH

wardworld
12/19/2009, 10:13 AM
Craig, I think you may be right...I do know that the right drain is "closer" to the T than the left one...I'm pretty ignorant about fluid dynamics, but I wonder if since the water from the left drain has to travel farther to exit the tank, that when coupled with clogged filter socks it causes a "back up."
Hmmmm....

cnaegler
12/19/2009, 10:19 AM
Craig, I think you may be right...I do know that the right drain is "closer" to the T than the left one...I'm pretty ignorant about fluid dynamics, but I wonder if since the water from the left drain has to travel farther to exit the tank, that when coupled with clogged filter socks it causes a "back up."
Hmmmm....

I'm definitely no expert in fluid dynamics but I'm thinking that if the pipe diameter stays the same where they T, it may be backing up some.
Maybe try seperating the one drain line into two seperate lines altogether?

wardworld
12/19/2009, 10:51 AM
Unfortunately, that would add two more holes in the wall and the wife won't go for that?

rbnice1
12/19/2009, 10:57 AM
IMO the teeth are way to thin on those glass cages overflow. I had to enlarge the holes on mine using a dremel and a rotozip bit. I just enlarged them all a little bit and it made a huge difference.

cnaegler
12/19/2009, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately, that would add two more holes in the wall and the wife won't go for that?

I hear ya! Gotta keep the boss happy! Maybe try going to a larger diameter pipe where it T's? Did changing the socks help any?

jmking33
12/19/2009, 11:22 AM
I agree....maybe a larger diameter pipe for your exit. And instead of a "t" I would change to something that wouldnt cause "back pressure". It seems to me (not an expert) that when the to drains come to the "t" and exit, both drains are in a sense pushing against each other before they exit to your sump. That along with a dirty sock(depending on the water level in your sump) could cause the water to slow down. JMO...hope it helps.

wardworld
12/19/2009, 11:32 AM
I'm going to change the socks today (when the lights come on) and then increase my return flow to see if I can get it balanced back out and then watch over the next day to see if it begins to create the back pressure...I can certainly change the socks everyday if necessary (lord knows, I've got enough of em laying around :)