PDA

View Full Version : Nano-Reef Algae Problem

scubadude14
12/19/2009, 11:45 AM
I've got a 14 gallon Biocube that's got a large amount of bubble algae that's getting a bit close to my slower growing coral. I've seen that Mithrax crabs eat it, but I've already got a Porcelain Crab that I'd like to keep. Are there any non-crab buble algae eaters that could live in my tank?

Jsingh
12/21/2009, 05:24 PM
I cant think of any of the top of my head, you can try to remove it by hand with some soft- tipped tweezers just be very careful not to pop the bubbles

CaptSacto
12/21/2009, 08:14 PM
the emerald crab is best bet for bubble algae. Had two cleared my 30g up in a week and it had alot in it. They also eat other algae and left over food.

FlamesFan
12/21/2009, 08:21 PM
+1 emerald crab but i've never had any success with keeping them alive for a long period. but they do the trick while alive.

brandon429
12/21/2009, 10:15 PM
valonia is one of many items I have burned with blue jet cig lighters.

If they appear up high, or in a place where you can drain a little water and do some burn surgery it's fast and it doesn't come back. depending on the size of the area I do a water change, mostly I just fill it back up and let that area patch over in time.

Things like valonia, bryopsis and other bad algae can appear after adding new frags from my lfs, but I never let them accumulate without some measure and you'd be suprised how helpful cauterization is for the reef tank. sometimes it can get that one spot you can't itch.

the coolest tool is the candle lighters that are blue jets on the end. sheilds made of tin foil can be used as little deflectors for nearby corals...things I have roasted during a water change right on the rocks with no harm:
xenia, the stuff listed above, red asparagopsis algae, some flatworms and green hair algae and mushroom pedal material I didn't want popping up.

Daimyo68
12/21/2009, 10:37 PM
I recently got a Emerald Crab, and he's working away at the bubble algae.

I also, removed some of the rock with the algae on it, and manually, with a knife, removed it. I just got the blade tip down at the "root" of the algae, and kind of cut out a small indentation around it in the rock where it was.

I then rinsed the rock and put it back into the tank.

Main thing, whether doing it in the tank or out, is to not "pop" those bubbles.

_88
12/21/2009, 11:37 PM
If you can pull the rock out and do manual removal that will be your best bet. Like Daimyo said, try to pry the bubbles out without popping them but it's going to happen. Just remove as much as you can and give it a rinse in a bucket before returning it to the tank. A UV sterilizer might help slow the spread down too I suppose.

keegoaz
12/22/2009, 01:27 AM
Emerald crab only do one in a tank your size. 2 or more will run out of food and die.

HulaDad
12/22/2009, 01:35 AM
My Emerald crab eats shrimp.... No need in worrying about him dying... lol I just pulled the rocks out of the tank one at a time and had four buckets of tank water set up and peeled/popped the bubble algae/aiptasia off in the first bucket and tripled rinsed in the other three... No more algae trouble....