PDA

View Full Version : tearing system down and starting over

gholtmeyer
12/19/2009, 01:09 PM
So, I am tearing my system, or at least the display tank down . . . and completely redoing it. The corals have been put in the frag tanks downstairs, live rock in the 150 gallon stock tank. I will be taking the sand out this weekend and washing it. I am pondering several new things with the tank. I don't think that I am going to replace all the sand in the display. I have a lot of live rock and sand in the frag tanks and stock tank. I am going to put about an inch of sand in the display, maybe a thin layer of crushed coral over the top to cut down on sand being stirred up. The rest of the sand might go into a 5 gallon buck for a RDSB in the stock tank. I am also thinking about putting much less rock back in the tank and going for several 'island' type formations. I want to open up the sand bed a bit. Keep in mind that this is only a 75 gallon system. Yes, I know that I should upgrade to a bigger system, but in the current house I can't/won't do that. When JP and I set this system up many years ago, we drilled it and thought that we had enough flow in the tank. Well, how times have changed and I can only increase flow by power heads, etc. inside the tank. I am debating getting a new reef ready tank with overflows in the corner but not sure if that will be worth the money vs. increased flow. I have a Mag 36 in the basement for the return line, but have it turned way down, so the flow is there if I could get more flow out of my tank. I like an LPS dominated tank. Some zoo's, rics, monti caps, etc as well will be figured into the tank. I have two 250w MH and two 110w VHO for lights.

For circulation I have the return line from the sump, I am esestimatinghat I get about 700 gph from that. I did have a Mag 9.5 sitting in the tank behind the rocks with a line running off it with three nozzles. I have two Hydor rotating water deflectors that I am debating installing for more of that random water movement concept. I also have two Hydor Koralia 3 (800 ghp) currently in the tank. So, ththat'sust a bit over 3000 gph total water movement inside the tank.

So here is where you get to offer your suggestions now that the tank is basically stripped down.

As far as fish go, thats that's up for grabs too. I will not have any angel's, dwarf or reg, or anything terrible aggressive. I am going to be putting in a pair of black percs. Would be cool as hell to get 10 or so babies all from the same clutch. I hear that is you get them from the same clutch and they have never been separated that they can/will get along in same tank. Debating on the bta think. Main concern with fish is that I like movement. Not every fish has to be on the constant prowl but don't want a bunch of fish that hide all damn day long. This sounds terribly rookie (oh, bag word) lets say beginner, but a big freaking school of chromis or damsels like cool in a tank. I like movement in my corals and fish. I want to get as much of the back and forth, random movement in the tank as I can.

So lets hear it.