PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if sps are dead?

Drake1
12/19/2009, 02:51 PM
i had a huge purple sps colony bleach white then turn brown, i assumed that it was dead, it never had polyps so it is hard to tell if it was alive. i took it out of the tank one night and it was slimy so i put him back in. is there a better way of telling if he is live or dead?

prNonVTEC4u
12/19/2009, 03:02 PM
brown is still alive. WHITE is dead. browning tends to happen when the coral's not happy with it's current location. mainly deal with lighting...

sedor
12/19/2009, 03:16 PM
If it turns completely white it won't come back. After being dead a while in the tank algae will grow over the skeleton which may be what your seeing.

reeflover62
12/19/2009, 05:12 PM
I got a frag from a friend that bleached out fell to the bottom of my tank and stayed there for two weeks. Just when i was about to take it out i noticed it still had polyps. To this day its one of the best sps i have.

Drake1
12/19/2009, 05:44 PM
do sps build slime on them? i've always been a sps guys should i try and take it out again and see if it slims again.

JMalone81
12/19/2009, 07:24 PM
Does it have algae on it?

wireefman
12/19/2009, 07:29 PM
pic please

CoralMonkey
12/19/2009, 07:45 PM
I think the best way to tell is you can first see the white skeleton and then algae grows over it. I almost pulled out a ora Hawkins which I thought was dead and it was looking very ugly with no PE even at night. I let it be because and it has now maken almost a full recovery and is turning blue/green and has pe again.

woody283
12/19/2009, 07:46 PM
If it turns completely white it won't come back. After being dead a while in the tank algae will grow over the skeleton which may be what your seeing.

Ive got a monti digi that was accidently fraged and i put it in a cycleing tank. turned snow white but still has polyp extension just like the mother colony. I dont think its dead.

stooges3tx
12/19/2009, 07:58 PM
I have had SPS go white and bleach with polyps still out. Left it alone and it is coloring back up. Leave SPS alone. They need stability. Don't move them for weeks. Especially if they are turned white. Constantly moving SPS and some other sensitve corals WILL kill them.