PDA

View Full Version : Overflow problem

jdthomas24
12/19/2009, 09:25 PM
i have a 150 gallon with two overflow chambers( one in each back corner). I got the tank up and running today and wonder if anyone has ever uses that pipe insulation for the overflow pipes under their tank. I was wondering if it would dampin out all or most of the noise from the flow of water...

bertoni
12/19/2009, 10:30 PM
I've used it, but I didn't notice much noise reduction. Something like a Durso standpipe or a Hofer gurgle buster might be useful, though.

jdthomas24
12/19/2009, 11:02 PM
well i pretty much DIY the durso sand pipe with 90's and i also drilled a hole in the top of the 90 and inserted a 1/4 tubing to prevent it from pushing out air mixed with water on the canopy top. The bulk of the noise is when it enters the lower level and goes through the 1 inch pvc, pretty much sounds like water flowing in pipe, kinda like when you live in an downstairs apartment and a washign machine starts to drain, you hear the water flowing through the drain pipe in a lower level unit form a unit directly above.i have a pvc ball valve knob and when i restrict the flow the noise calms down but i can not restrict it to much, i would rather try and figure out a better way to work around it. wasnt sure if anyone tried the insulation yet or not.

smcfall176
12/19/2009, 11:07 PM
Make sure you are not just dropping the pipe straight down into the sump. That creates to much speed as the water flows you shoud try and put a 45 or two in the pipes under the tank. Also do a search on the reverse durso. I have not tried it but it does look interesting.

laxer23
12/19/2009, 11:44 PM
durso stand pipes are easy to make hardest part is figuring out what size hole to drill which is usually around a 1/4"

bertoni
12/20/2009, 12:51 AM
Well, the wrapping might help with pipe noise. It's easy to do, at least for my setup it was.

jdthomas24
12/20/2009, 07:07 PM
Bertoni, when you wrapped yours, did it cut down on the noise? I debating about double wrapping them but i am nto sure if i could wrap the 1 inch then wrap it with 2 inch ( if i have enough room to do that- doubt it)

Lightsluvr
12/20/2009, 09:01 PM
How far does the water drop inside the overflow boxes? That first fall was always the biggest source of noise in my previous tanks... The Durso may need to be adjusted so the water only drops an inch or so inside the overflow...

Just a thought...

Maybe share a photo of how your plumbing runs from overflows to the sump?

LL

jdthomas24
12/20/2009, 09:05 PM
i think i will take a few pics tomorrow to see what you guys/gals think.

bertoni
12/20/2009, 10:52 PM
I didn't notice any noise reduction when I added the wrap.

jdthomas24
12/21/2009, 10:09 PM
ok i did the durso stand pipes and it worked bu the tube i stuck in the hole to make sure it stayed above water level has a loud sucking noise coming out of it on both sides. i removed the tube to see if it got better and still the same thing. Is this because the hole is to small ? it staying at the correct level just the sucking noise is annoying...

ndh78
12/21/2009, 10:15 PM
I tried everything and the one that ended up working for me was the hofer gurgle buster with a couple extra holes in the pipe about 2 in below the water line