PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck t-5

wickedfish
12/20/2009, 03:34 PM
Im running 8-54watt t-5's for my 120 gallon tank. I have some soft corals, amenmones, polyps, mushrooms. I was cleaning the bulbs and fixture. Bad luck came flying through the air. My son through his foot ball on accident and landing and cracked 6 out of 8 bulbs. I only have 2. I cant afford another 6 untill next week. When i get paid. I spent a fortune christmas shopping. Could they last untill then with just 2 bulbs or should i just leave it off or what the longest they could go with out light. Thank you

swamprat
12/20/2009, 03:39 PM
No need to leave it off if it will burn with just two lights. It's not the end of the world. Burn what you have and get new bulbs as soon as you can.

DC_40gallon
12/20/2009, 04:26 PM
Agreed, burn the two bulbs and next week add the others.

Do consider this though, depending on how old your bulbs are (I say anything over 3 months) only add 2 at a time per week or two. Reason being, everything in your tank will get hit with light shock if you add 6 new bulbs at once.

Anytime you buy a new fixture you should always replace 1/3 or 1/2 of the bulbs every 6 months in my personal opinion, this will keep a universal continuum whereas replacing bulbs at once will give light shock to corals and possibly cause some to die.

Lightsluvr
12/20/2009, 04:51 PM
Agreed, burn the two bulbs and next week add the others.

Do consider this though, depending on how old your bulbs are (I say anything over 3 months) only add 2 at a time per week or two. Reason being, everything in your tank will get hit with light shock if you add 6 new bulbs at once.

Anytime you buy a new fixture you should always replace 1/3 or 1/2 of the bulbs every 6 months in my personal opinion, this will keep a universal continuum whereas replacing bulbs at once will give light shock to corals and possibly cause some to die.

I agree; this is a good plan.

How long will it take his allowance to replace the bulbs? :idea: Just kidding...hopefully he feels terrible about his "accident"... :sad2:

LL

xmjxflipx
12/21/2009, 07:12 AM
yea corals will do ok with no lights for several days......some people leave their lights off for 3-4days straight once a month...supposedly it helps the coloration of sps.

DC_40gallon
12/21/2009, 10:26 AM
yea corals will do ok with no lights for several days......some people leave their lights off for 3-4days straight once a month...supposedly it helps the coloration of sps.

This is also a GREAT time to do a blackout if you have anything like algae that your wanting to get rid of.