PDA

View Full Version : T-5 In Addition to MH?

Homeytwist
12/20/2009, 05:49 PM
Hello All

I am in the process of setting up my new 70gal reef aquarium (24 x 30 x 24) and I could use some input on the lighting. I will be building the lighting pendant from scratch (I work at a sheet-metal shop) so it can be whatever shape/size/configuration I like. It will run a 250w HQI bulb, blue LED moonlights, and possibly 2x 24" T-5 tubes. Now, what I'm wondering is whether it's a good idea to include those T-5 lamps.

I already have a ballast and sockets I can use for it, so really the only impact it will make is in the aesthetics department; the fixture will be a lot bigger if it includes flourescent tubes. Right now I'm planning to run a 14k phoenix bulb in the MH, and am planning to run actinics in the two T5s. But I've been doing some reading and the actinics may not be necessary when running a 14k or hotter MH bulb? Also, actinics won't be contributing any PAR and their light output is relatively low, so I'm wondering if they're even necessary? Then again, if I choose to drop to a 10k MH bulb perhaps having that blue light available will be desirable. The setup will be a mixed reef tank with a fair bit of SPS and a couple clams etc. I've attached a screenshot of the tank and stand for referance (the stand only exists as a model at the moment).

I'm looking for some input and experience on the matter. Thanks in advance!

rbnice1
12/20/2009, 06:12 PM
I would include the T-5's. They will give you not only a dawn/dusk light, but also allow you to adjust your kelvin range.

FYI I run 2 250mh phoenix bulbs with 4 T-5's. 2 attinics, 1 blue+, and 1 fiji purple.

Homeytwist
12/20/2009, 07:32 PM
Cool, thanks for the input, that's what I needed to know. And you're absolutely right about the dawn dusk, that'd crossed my mind but I forgot to mention!

roushracer
12/20/2009, 10:32 PM
I would include the T-5's. They will give you not only a dawn/dusk light, but also allow you to adjust your kelvin range.

FYI I run 2 250mh phoenix bulbs with 4 T-5's. 2 attinics, 1 blue+, and 1 fiji purple.

Yup, I do the same thing but with 2 T5's along with my 250w MH Phoenix 14k. I use an ATI Blue+ and a KZ Fiji Purple. Perfect color and the ability for dusk/dawn is awesome!