PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a tank size

ezhoops
12/20/2009, 07:16 PM
I'm setting up from scratch a new clownfish / anem set up and want some opinions on what set up would be easier, less expensive, more managable.

Here is what I'm between:

30 gal cube (25L x 25W x 12H)

vs.

40 gal breeder (36L x 18W x 16H)

Now I'm not really concerned with the expensive of the tank just the other stuff.

Lighting
of course 24" vs 36" lighting options are going to different cause of the depth (not height) of the tank. I would want T-5's but 6 bulbs with the 36" and 8 with the 24".

Sump
I will probably build a sump myself. With the 36" the sump would be 24" and I would have another foot of room under the stand to use for top off, etc.
With the 24" I could probably still use the 24" sump turned sideways and still have almost as much room.

Inhabitants
I will be keeping a single pair of clowns, with anenome (h. crispa, or h. malu)
with a few shrimps, snails and possibly a few neon gobies.

I think that the comparisions are so similar that it probably doesn't matter. Another thing to consider is floor space it will take in my living room.

Please lend your advice, opinions.

Eric

E.intheC
12/20/2009, 08:13 PM
really the only major difference with pricing will be in the lighting, but that won't be much. It's really up to you and what you think you'll like better. They are both neat sizes. If I had to choose, I'd get the second choice simply because I don't like tanks that are only 12 inches high.

lloydkeller
12/20/2009, 08:14 PM
40g tank

BonsaiNut
12/24/2009, 01:57 AM
Love the 40g breeder. My favorite "standard-sized" tank for anything under 60g.

phobos2deimos
12/24/2009, 02:00 AM
They're both solid choices and prices are cheap.
The main thing is that they're very dissimilar in terms of aquascaping, so go whichever one suits that goal best. I'm partial to the cube.