PDA

View Full Version : My powerheads aren't as powerfull as they used to be.

Pulp Fishin
12/20/2009, 08:01 PM
My pumps & powerheads don't push the same smount of water as they used to. I read a old thread that sugested putting powerheads or a pump in white vinegar to disolve any caroline or other build up. Also not sure but would a skimmer do well with this method?

Anybody ever try this or any other methods of restoring their power without modding them?

abaran
12/20/2009, 09:22 PM
Yes put them in vinegar for 4-5 hr. brush them off , rinse in water, looks like new.

mdntrdr
12/20/2009, 09:26 PM
You can clean salt creep from the air intake of your skimmer by letting it suck R/O water through it.

iamwrasseman
12/20/2009, 10:39 PM
just clean them up ...................brand new flow !

sjm817
12/20/2009, 10:47 PM
Take the pump apart when you do it. Be sure the impeller magnet and the cavity that the impeller sits in are free of calcium deposits.

Pulp Fishin
12/21/2009, 12:46 PM
Alright this is awsome guys. I'm gona try all this to make sure i got any potenial problems!
I'm taking all my equipment down and cleaning them off and make sure they are clean of calcium, after that I'll let it sit over night in a 50/50 Ro/vinegar mix.
I'll rince it all real nice and after try running fresh Ro water though the skimmer because I never thought of that. :cool:
I hope this will help restore this all to its former glory! :dance: