PDA

View Full Version : Clear Sillicone - Black Sillicone

FranktheTankTx
12/20/2009, 07:23 PM
I am purchasing a tank that has clear sillicone. However, I have always liked the look of black sillicone. Would black sillicone run over the top of the clear sillicone give a black sillicone appearance? Or would it even bond with the clear sillicone? I'm wondering if there is anything I can personally do to give it the "black sillicone" look I prefer.

nikon187
12/20/2009, 07:43 PM
wet silicone doesn't bond to dry well at all. Only options would be to return it and get one with black or cut out all the old silicone and reseal yourself with black

frgrasso
12/20/2009, 07:48 PM
agreed ,get one with black silicone

Bob 1000
12/20/2009, 07:48 PM
I cut mines all out and replced it with black.. Make sure that you seal it good and allow 5 days to dry before water testing it.. You could probably wet it before 5days but 5 days will give the silicone time to seal totally to the second power,,lol..

FranktheTankTx
12/20/2009, 08:01 PM
How did you cut the old silicone out? With a razor blade? I could do this only on the verticle seams - as they are the only ones visible on a tank while in operation (using a sand bed).

I think I will do a test drive on one verticle seam & see what the outcome is.

After removing the silicone, do you clean the glass with anything prior to new silicone application?

P.S. Returning the tank is NOT an option - I purchased it from a reefer, however the tank is brand new. Too good a deal to pass up.