PDA

View Full Version : JBJ 12g nano lighting question

EMUReef
12/21/2009, 12:05 AM
Im in the process of hopefully getting a jbj 12g nano for dirt cheap.

I plan on using it as a small frag tank and or turning it into a clown tank possibly.

but back to the frag part.

Would the lighting that comes with it be ok for LPS and softies? its the only thing i plan on fragging. If not what do you recommend.

jcolletteiii
12/21/2009, 12:51 AM
Is this an oldschool 12g, or a 12 gal dx? IMO the single light 24watt nc is underlit for just about anything photosynthetic. If you've got the dx model with 2 lamps, you'll be ok with LPS and softies.

If you've got/get a single light tank, there are all kinds of ways to Frankenstein the lighting. I'm running a DIY LED array in my 12g that puts out a TON of light. In my 14g biocube frag tank, I'm running 3 24 watt CF lamps, which also seems to be working ok for SPS frags.

EMUReef
12/21/2009, 10:04 AM
Is this an oldschool 12g, or a 12 gal dx? IMO the single light 24watt nc is underlit for just about anything photosynthetic. If you've got the dx model with 2 lamps, you'll be ok with LPS and softies.

If you've got/get a single light tank, there are all kinds of ways to Frankenstein the lighting. I'm running a DIY LED array in my 12g that puts out a TON of light. In my 14g biocube frag tank, I'm running 3 24 watt CF lamps, which also seems to be working ok for SPS frags.

Well either way come to find out it doesn't have the hood so i'd have to buy a light.

any recommendations? maybe a 2 bulb t5 HO?

jcolletteiii
12/21/2009, 10:35 AM
You can pick up a used Viper clamp on MH fixture pretty cheap - I had a 150 watt one on my 12, but the 70 watt light should be adequate as well. Check the classifieds here and on nanoreef.com - there are always light fixtures for nanos being sold over there. I didn't like the open top look, so I made an LED array that looks brighter than the 150w Viper did. You could also pick up a hood from somewhere - JBJ sells replacement hoods on their website, but again, you could check nanoreef.com for someone selling one, or post a WTB ad over there - they're always available b/c nanoreefers love to Frankenstein their AIO cubes.

EMUReef
12/21/2009, 10:46 AM
You can pick up a used Viper clamp on MH fixture pretty cheap - I had a 150 watt one on my 12, but the 70 watt light should be adequate as well. Check the classifieds here and on nanoreef.com - there are always light fixtures for nanos being sold over there. I didn't like the open top look, so I made an LED array that looks brighter than the 150w Viper did. You could also pick up a hood from somewhere - JBJ sells replacement hoods on their website, but again, you could check nanoreef.com for someone selling one, or post a WTB ad over there - they're always available b/c nanoreefers love to Frankenstein their AIO cubes.

wow thanks for all that info! i didnt even think about that website.