PDA

View Full Version : Dosing AAs for SPS - how much

Dutch06
12/21/2009, 03:10 PM
I have read literally 20 threads relating to dosing AAs. Almost every one asks the same question, before or after lights out? Well, I really don't care. I more interested in how much.

I'm using Brightwells CoralAmino. Instructions say up to 1ml per 50 gallons of water daily for the first four weeks of use; increase as desired after that. I have 125g of total water volume.

I didn't want to start off at full blast so I used 1ml vs 2.5ml as recommended for my water volume. 1ml is defined as 20 drops.

Now, my question, most threads I read people are using anywhere from 3-5 drops per day. This is a long way from the 40-50 drops as recommended. Does anybody care to share their dosage of CoralAmino? And results based upon that dosage schedule?

(I made the 1ml dosage last night and about half-way through got that I sure hope this is right feeling.)

silentscream
12/21/2009, 08:35 PM
Without a proper nutrient export system, even the manufacturer's suggested rate can lead to problems, in my own experience. I was not using a bacteria/vodka system at the time, and eventually ramped up to 20 drops per 50gal dosage. About a month of that doage, I began to battle algae.

I'm not suggesting that amino acids should only be used by bacteria/carbon folks, but it seems to be more common than non bacteria reefers. My system has been stabilized using bacteria, vodka and 5 drops of coralamino twice a week. I am very nervous to increase the coralamino above that, and would rather broadcast feed the tank more often than to use more amino acids. This has been my experience.

beeker
12/29/2009, 03:10 PM
I Do 1 drop in my BC29g with 10g sump, maybe 20 total gallons of water

so 1 drop per 20-25g would be my estimate, i get decent results but use Elo's amino's and am carbon dosing, but only dose carbon 2 days a week at the moment 1 drop of elose for an entire week i don't dose it everyday only on water changes and i would probably not reccomend dosing it everyday unless you were carbon dosing, cause IMO it has an effect but as with anything can become saturated and start having ill affects so go slow

HTH
kyle

Wrench
12/29/2009, 03:27 PM
I used this stuff a while ago with zero results. I recently started using their AminOmega once a day mixed into the fishes' food and am already seeing results. This way the AA's are delivered to the corals in a more natural way.