PDA

View Full Version : yellow tang question (feeding)

agreeive?fish
12/21/2009, 05:39 PM
Ok my ~2 inch yellow tang will only eat nori(seaweed) and graze on the rocks and glass at this time..ofcourse i have only had him since friday... since he is eating nori iam not worried but would like to see him take some other foods as well .

any feeding tricks to get him eating other foods?

Sisterlimonpot
12/21/2009, 05:48 PM
Mine also eats meaty foods, I mixed brine with mysis and it got him eating quite a bit. but his main staple of food is the nori.

agreeive?fish
12/21/2009, 05:51 PM
forgot to say.. i tried formula 1 & 2,flakes, prime reef flakes, frozen mysis, and angel/butterfly formula and chopped table shrimp so far....i keep nori in the tank at all times

Sisterlimonpot
12/21/2009, 05:57 PM
I think what lured him to eat the mysis was the brine. he never ate the other flake stuff.

agreeive?fish
12/21/2009, 06:06 PM
thanks..ill get some brine to mix in this weekend since he is eating the nori and rock/glass grazing iam not worried for the most part.

Sisterlimonpot
12/21/2009, 06:09 PM
and it may be that he's not quite use to the new environment yet. Have you also tried using a little garlic extract?

gbothepro
12/21/2009, 06:18 PM
I have a Blue tang that doesn't eat nori unless I chop it up for him. Any tips on how I could get him to eat it without chopping it up?

AquaMonkey
12/21/2009, 07:32 PM
+1 to Sisterlimonpot Have you also tried using a little garlic extract?

Sisterlimonpot
12/21/2009, 07:34 PM
I have a Blue tang that doesn't eat nori unless I chop it up for him. Any tips on how I could get him to eat it without chopping it up?

Do you put the nori on a nori clip?

Chris27
12/21/2009, 08:21 PM
A yellow tang only eating nori is really nothing to worry about, they are herbivorous fish by nature. Allow some time, and it should adapt to eating mysis, brine and most other prepared frozen foods.

Chris27
12/21/2009, 08:22 PM

When you put the algae in the algae clip, cut it into strips that are only about an 1/8" wide, then sandwich them all in the clip. It makes getting the algae much easier for the fish, and it keeps the whole sheet from getting ripped out by one fish.

bertoni
12/21/2009, 09:15 PM
The fish might be getting all the food it needs from the live rock and the nori. If the live rock gets depleted a bit, it might get hungrier. :)

mojo10
12/21/2009, 10:39 PM
Try new life spectrum marine fish formula ( small )
Every fish i have ever had loves this stuff and it good for them ..

gbothepro
12/21/2009, 11:32 PM
When you put the algae in the algae clip, cut it into strips that are only about an 1/8" wide, then sandwich them all in the clip. It makes getting the algae much easier for the fish, and it keeps the whole sheet from getting ripped out by one fish.

I think this might work...

Thanks

lordofthereef
12/22/2009, 01:31 AM
You can try soaking the nori with a mixture of other foods that you want to see him eat so it sort of "bastes" the nori with other flavors. Others have had success soaking nori in garlic and then feeding other garlic soaked foods that the tangs will the gobble up. It is important to note though that these guys are mostly herbivorous though and would probably do very well on the nori alone.

agreeive?fish
12/22/2009, 05:57 AM
The only reason i would have any concern is because yellow tangs are my nemisis fish, i have never been able to keep a yellow tang no matter what set up i have tried, what tank mates ect, infact this yellow tang i have broke every rule i have ever went by in purchasing a fish, to include this fish was still in the shipping bag from lfs shipment (not so local fish store) but it was the nicest little yellow tang i have ever seen so for my VERY LAST attempt at yellow tangs i decided to try this little tang and i have never bought a "larger" fish this small before. iam hopping when he goes into the DT that his small size will help him concidering there will be way more hiding/security places for him than if he was a 4 inch tang starting out in the tank

zsqure
12/22/2009, 07:09 AM
My yellow tang does not eat nori, algae sheets (red brown or green). He will eat formula2 pellets, flake and homemade food which consists of meaty foods.
He's a fat little guy.

baondayko
12/22/2009, 07:27 AM
+1 new life spectrum marine fish formula ( small ). My fish love the stuff. It must not be hungry enough yet to try other things. How big is your tank? Are there other fish in the tank?

agreeive?fish
12/22/2009, 08:18 AM
right now he is in a 30g qt..

the display will be a 6ft 215g, a 7ft 219g or a 6ft 175g bowfront,,(i have all 3 tanks not a future upgrade) tank mates will be large/drawf angels,triggers,tangs,puffers/clownfish..depending on which tank i put him in to to wich particular species of each previously listed fish will be his tankmates... iam moving in march 2010 so i dont know 100% wich fish will be in which tank after the move but rach tank will have tangs/triggers/clownfish/puffers and angels both large and drawfs

DC_40gallon
12/22/2009, 09:26 AM
Mines a pig for mysis shrimp!

Lightsluvr
12/22/2009, 09:30 AM
My yellow tang does not eat nori, algae sheets (red brown or green). He will eat formula2 pellets, flake and homemade food which consists of meaty foods.
He's a fat little guy.

Next time the homemade food is made, add some Nori and Sipulina to the mix. Tangs need "greens" in their diet - helps avoid HLLE and other maladies...

LL

zsqure
12/22/2009, 10:30 AM
OK, the formula2 flake does have spirulina in it.....or so it says.

Bontrager
12/23/2009, 06:36 AM
What is Nori, where do I purchase it? I will be getting a small yellow tang in a week or so and want to be prepared.

Thank you.

zsqure
12/23/2009, 06:48 AM
Nori is dried seaweed. It is found at the grocery store in the Asian section or at your lfs sold as seaweed in dried sheets.

FortyFour
12/23/2009, 01:45 PM
............the display will be a 6ft 215g, a 7ft 219g or a 6ft 175g bowfront,,(i have all 3 tanks not a future upgrade)............

That's it????????????????????

discus510
12/23/2009, 02:22 PM
Nori is dried seaweed. It is found at the grocery store in the Asian section or at your lfs sold as seaweed in dried sheets.
can u use dried seaweed from asian supermarket?? cuz there a lot cheaper than buyin the other stuff from petshop

agreeive?fish
12/23/2009, 03:17 PM
............the display will be a 6ft 215g, a 7ft 219g or a 6ft 175g bowfront,,(i have all 3 tanks not a future upgrade)............

That's it????????????????????

nope..i got a 75g, a 55g, (3) 29g, a (2) 20g,(one long one tall) a 30g(current qt), a 10g all empty but available for use

daveml
12/24/2009, 08:44 AM
Give the fish time to get used to his surrondings in the new tank. My tang took a week or two before it started eating meaty foods. It ate nori and grazed on rocks at first but now goes nuts for mysis, brine and pellets.

Give it time