PDA

View Full Version : Green Powder Like Algae

Reef Ridster
12/21/2009, 09:05 PM
Tank is experiencing a large amount of green powder like algae. I can't go two days without it completely covering the glass.The same thing was/is happening in my Solana and I moved a good portion of that rock over to the new 70g cube.

no livestock
Nitrate 5
Phos 0
Weekly water changes
Purapad and ChemiPure Elite
No Skimmer for now
Flow was okay but will improve with new vortech mp20

Question: could the rock be so overloaded with phosphates and nutrients that the rock is now feeding the tank and algae?

Solution?

sjfishguy
12/21/2009, 09:12 PM
The answer to your question ----> yes. I would get a skimmer and lower your temp to like 77. The higher the temp, the quicker the algae you are describing grows.

Maivortex
12/21/2009, 09:36 PM
Could be diatoms. Any silicate in your tap water?

Reef Ridster
12/22/2009, 02:08 PM
The answer to your question ----> yes. I would get a skimmer and lower your temp to like 77. The higher the temp, the quicker the algae you are describing grows.

Lowered temp to 77 degrees and skimmer coming after the new year. In the meantime, with rock so saturated, would adding 100ml RowaPhos help?

Could be diatoms. Any silicate in your tap water?

Not sure, but I run an extreme typhoon RODI setup so would that matter? if so, how do i find out if silicates are in my tap?

sjfishguy
12/22/2009, 02:44 PM
Yes, the rowaphos will help. I would not add more than 0.5mg/g and keep an eye on your alk the first few days. GFO can drop your alk really fast and this is likely why some people have problems when they first use it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
12/22/2009, 03:03 PM
0.5 mg/g?

milligrams per gallon?

Do you mean grams?

I wouldn't specify Rowaphos, but some brand of GFO is a fine way to try to deal with most algae problems. :)

Reef Ridster
12/22/2009, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't specify Rowaphos, but some brand of GFO is a fine way to try to deal with most algae problems. :)

Thanks for the replies...now here is the stupid question of the day. What does GFO stand for?

I specified ROWAphos Phosphate Removal Media - 100 mL as this is what I purchased under the thinking it would address the phosphate/nutrient issue. Should I be using another GFO brand?

HighlandReefer
12/22/2009, 03:17 PM
Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

HighlandReefer
12/22/2009, 03:31 PM
FWIW, having a good quality skimmer to help remove organics from your system is an important part of controlling algal problems. Until you get a skimmer, perhaps using a filter bag will help along with frequent proper water changes.

HighlandReefer
12/22/2009, 03:44 PM
Diatoms are known as the "Golden Brown Algae." In most cases their masses appear to be a brownish color.

Diatoms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom

sjfishguy
12/22/2009, 04:03 PM
Sorry, yeah grams/gallon. Thanks Randy for the sharp eye

GFO=granulated ferric oxide, as stated above. Rowaphos is just a brand and is perfectly fine.

Reef Ridster
12/22/2009, 06:43 PM
Iron Oxide Hydroxide (GFO) Phosphate Binders
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/rhf/index.htm

Thanks, will put in a dent into reading it tonight!

FWIW, having a good quality skimmer to help remove organics from your system is an important part of controlling algae problems

With my budget a bit of a bear right now, maybe I should have bought a skimmer before the Vortech :rolleyes: However, I have started looking at Eshopps PSK-100

Definitely want to address it because after two days and a water change its covers the glass, weird stuff as it dissipates similar to a silky powder when cleaning it off.

Reef Ridster
01/29/2010, 07:04 PM
0.5 mg/g?
.....GFO is a fine way to try to deal with most algae problems. :)

Randy, I have read the link provided and if I read correctly, you lean/prefer to use carbon over gfo? I had decided not to use carbon due to so recommending not to use it other than once in a while. Nw I am questioning that decision.

I am getting my skimmer (finally) next week and look forward to seeing how that effects the overall issue. In the meantime thanks for your further input.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/30/2010, 08:18 AM
I don't use GFO (I have occasionally used it, but not that the present time), but I also do not really have an algae problem that GFO would help with (I have some bryopsis and some problem Caulerpa in the main tank, but I doubt I can kill them off with GFO without hurting tank creatures).

If I did have many other types of algae problem, I'd consider GFO.

Organic carbon dosing may help deal with algae, but the effect is going to be slower, and GFO may give it a jump start anyway.

Reef Ridster
01/30/2010, 08:54 AM
I'm following you but to clarify do you not recommend running gfo and carbon together?

As of this morning, I put this plan in motion: Added a 1/2 recommended bag of carbon in addition to the 250ml of GFO. Will run for five days then remove while checking parameters to get an idea of effect on tank and/or trace elements.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/30/2010, 09:12 AM
I have run them mixed together in a single cannister filter. GAC and GFO do somewhat different things and they do not replace each other.

Organic carbon dosing may somewhat replace GFO, if that is the question. :)