PDA

View Full Version : ATI vs MH

sanchoy
12/22/2009, 12:51 AM
ATI fixtures are supposed to be top of line fixtures for t-5 reflectors. How do the fair against metal halides. I have a 20+ inch deep tank and was wondering if the ATI fixture can grow sps corals. The MH will, but I don't want to add a chiller and constantly add water due to evaporation.

Also, was debating between ATI or Tek.

How much do ATI have over Tek? Is there even a difference?

nikon187
12/22/2009, 12:54 AM
ATI has double the par of the tek using the same number and colour temp bulbs ( Powermodule) Due to their superior reflectors and active cooling. That being said, both will grow SPS just fine with the right number of bulbs in a 20" tank. ATI rates their lights up to 30" with proper coral placement

frgrasso
12/22/2009, 04:10 AM
i personally like and use MH.

diverdick
12/22/2009, 04:45 AM
I am old school MH - call me crazy

grigsy
12/23/2009, 08:43 PM
I prefer metal halides over T5 and I don't think I am crazy.

jayk198030
12/23/2009, 08:49 PM
MH,MH,MH,again MH.

James77
12/23/2009, 09:11 PM
ATI fixtures are supposed to be top of line fixtures for t-5 reflectors. How do the fair against metal halides. I have a 20+ inch deep tank and was wondering if the ATI fixture can grow sps corals. The MH will, but I don't want to add a chiller and constantly add water due to evaporation.
Also, was debating between ATI or Tek.
How much do ATI have over Tek? Is there even a difference?

They are top of the line. They give out some serious PAR, will grow any coral fine, and will easily compete with halides. Having halides does not automatically mean you will need a chiller, Ive run them for years and have never even come close to needing one. A well ventilated canopy and fans will help cool them and the tank. Evaporation will also happen no matter what, and it is not that big of a deal using an ATO.

ATI has about double the output over the Tek, probably more so as time goes onas the bulbs age quicker over time due to the Teks lack of active cooling. Their is the Tek elite coming out soon, with active cooling around the same price as teh ATI sunpowers- we'll see how they do.

roushracer
12/23/2009, 09:35 PM
I like MH with T5, but if I had to do either alone it'd be MH.

solitude127
12/24/2009, 03:32 PM
I bought the PM becuase of the way it looks as well as the performance. I hang mine from the ceiling without a canopy so looks was just as important as performance.